12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2012 2:57 PM by kiran476 RSS

relication in oracle

aram Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I want to replicate between the 8i and 10g databases. 8i--->10g database

8i database is running on solaris 8

10g database is running on 5.7 redhat

If you want to provide any metalink id it would be very much helpful.

Thanks,
Aram
  • 1. Re: relication in oracle
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    Let's start with the basics. What is the 4-digit version of each database? There is a world of difference between replicating between 8.1.5 and 10.2 and replicating between 8.1.7.4 and 10.1.

What, exactly, do you mean by "replication"? One-way replication? Multi-master replication? Are you replicating one table? One schema? All schemas in the database? What sort of lag is acceptable?

Justin
  • 2. Re: relication in oracle
    aram Newbie
    i need to replicate all the schemas existing in 8i database to 10g database.

These 2 databases are existing in 2 different machines with different os installed

Its a one way replication only between these two

Thanks,
    Aram
  • 3. Re: relication in oracle
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl provide details on what business problem you are trying to solve.

Goldengate, which is a separately licensed product, is a possible solution, depending on exactly what "8i" and "10g" are.

Master Note - Oracle GoldenGate (Doc ID 1298817.1)

Srini
  • 4. Re: relication in oracle
    aram Newbie
    i just want to replicate all changes occuring in oracle database 8i to be seen in oracle 10g database.

I dont have any specific businees need.

I am doing this in test instance and i dont want to go for replication

Just want to follow the concept of replication and achieve the changes to reflected in 10g database for everything existing in 8i database
  • 5. Re: relication in oracle
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    We still need to know the Oracle versions involved. What is the 4-digit version of each database? There is a world of difference between replicating between 8.1.5 and 10.2 and replicating between 8.1.7.4 and 10.1.
    aram wrote:
    i just want to replicate all changes occuring in oracle database 8i to be seen in oracle 10g database.
    What does "all changes" mean? All DML? All DDL?

With what sort of lag? What sort of overhead is acceptable on the 8i system?
    I dont have any specific businees need.
    Huh? Why are you doing something if you have no need to do it?
    I am doing this in test instance and i dont want to go for replication
    You want to replicate data but you don't want to use replication? That doesn't make sense to me.

Justin
  • 6. Re: relication in oracle
    aram Newbie
    8i version is 8.1.7.4

and

10g database version is 10.2.0.1

only the dml statements need to replicated from 8i database to 10g database.

Thanks,
    Aram
  • 7. Re: relication in oracle
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    OK. We're making progress.

Do you need to be able to update data in the 10g database directly? Or is it a read-only slave of the 10g master?

What sort of lag between a change being made in 8i and appearing in 10g is acceptable?

Justin
  • 8. Re: relication in oracle
    kiran476 Newbie
    Hi,

I have to setup a synchronous (almost no lag) bi-directional replication to replicate everything (DML ,DDL) between 8.1.7 and 10.2.0.4. I see some docs for multimaster replication setup but non of them I found is complete. Could anyone please help me by providing a detailed doc to achieve this.

-Kiran
  • 9. Re: relication in oracle
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    I have to setup a synchronous (almost no lag) bi-directional replication to replicate everything (DML ,DDL) between 8.1.7 and 10.2.0.4. I see some docs for multimaster replication setup but non of them I found is complete. Could anyone please help me by providing a detailed doc to achieve this.
    May be Golden Gates can do it.
    DataCurrents can do it all but starting from Oracle 9.2.
    Can you upgrade your 8.1?
  • 10. Re: relication in oracle
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    Just want to follow the concept of replication and achieve the changes to reflected in 10g database for everything existing in 8i database
    If you do not need to see recent changes, just schedule nightly export/import of schemas you need.
  • 11. Re: relication in oracle
    kiran476 Newbie
    Unfortunately we cannot upgrade now, for various business reasons. Golden Gate ..I have to check if it works for 8i?

-Kiran
  • 12. Re: relication in oracle
    kiran476 Newbie
    I need synchronous bi-directional replication. I am currently doing MultiMaster Replication with a doc I found in metalink. Got to see how it goes.

-Kiran

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points