This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2012 6:12 PM by 865614 RSS

Study guide for OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I, exam 1Z1-803

896560 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Are there any study guides available for this exam? Is it ok to use a book that is based on Java SE 6? Something like this parhaps: http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Associate-Study-CX-310-019-Certification/dp/0071490035/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319735603&sr=8-1

The exam I want to study for is a beta exam. I'm not sure if I should study for this beta exam or the old SE 6 exam. Thoughts?
  • 1. Re: Study guide for OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I, exam 1Z1-803
    901190 Newbie
    I think any book would be fine. The concentration of this exam is on java basics. The new topics are JDBC API & ResourceBundle which I prepared from online Java 7 API. I used following books to prepare for beta exam.

• Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2
    • McGraw Hill Java The Complete Reference 7th Edition Dec 2006
    • McGraw Hill OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Practice Exams Oct 2010

Good Luck !!
  • 2. Re: Study guide for OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I, exam 1Z1-803
    909083 Newbie
    Is this certification already available? Is there now a book for it?

Best regards!
  • 3. Re: Study guide for OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I, exam 1Z1-803
    gimbal2 Guru
    Yes, the Java 7 language and tools did not change much. Do research what is new though; that should take about 30 minutes of reading.

The important thing about the study guide is not so much that it teaches how the language and the platform work - that you can learn from other books. What is the most important about it is that it provides a clearly defined learning path with extensive exams to validate your knowledge base. To me that is the only reason to buy this expensive book to begin with.
  • 4. Re: Study guide for OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I, exam 1Z1-803
    909645 Newbie
    i agree 100% with you. I only need a study guide not a how to do it guide so i don't waste my time on topics not on the exam as i work 10 hours a day but unfortunately there are no books yet available so i will be wasting a lot of time since Oracle left the exam topics very vague!!
  • 5. Re: Study guide for OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I, exam 1Z1-803
    gimbal2 Guru
    java_on_fire wrote:
    so i will be wasting a lot of time since Oracle left the exam topics very vague!!
    That is on purpose, otherwise people study only the minimum :) Now you have no choice but to dig into Java as a whole.

But with a little logical reasoning you can already figure out about 80% of the exam content. For example you can be darned sure to get questions about the for-each loop, threading/concurrency, generics and autoboxing. of course it is randomized which questions you get, but for example I got as many as 6 nasty questions about concurrency, the bastards.
  • 6. Re: Study guide for OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I, exam 1Z1-803
    909083 Newbie
    I heard from some people that the exam's questions were available in version 6. They told me that it was the exactly same questions. Is it the same for version 7?
    Does those mock exams contain the same questions as the exam?

Here for example? http://www.epractizelabs.com/blog2/?p=554
  • 7. Re: Study guide for OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I, exam 1Z1-803
    913900 Newbie
    I'm agree for the suppose that Oracle left the exam topics very vague !!!!!

If you want to prepare you must study on book based on java basics and you can prepare online Java 7 Api .

It's easy learn Java 7 i tried in 2 month and now is ok eheheh :)

A guide is not the same as a good book you can find online so much tutorials but you will learn more with a good book .

For me you can use tutorials only for base guide then you can learn more with a book

Good study :)

Olliver
  • 8. Re: Study guide for OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I, exam 1Z1-803
    865614 Newbie
    Oracle has now officially published the exam details such as number of questions (90) and total time (150 minutes). That's a lot of questions to answer in 150 minutes and that makes the exam quite tough. Don't look for brain dumps or real exam questions because you will not learn anything from them.

Enthuware has released mock exams and questions for this certification. It covers all the topics of the exam. It has 500+ questions and every question has an explanation so it is very helpful in learning. For USD 9.95, you can't go wrong.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points