3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 11:23 AM by dcooksey RSS

OSB / RMAN configuration for recovery area backup

user10090654
      Hi

I am having trouble performing a recovery area backup to tape.

Current config

Media server - attached tape library (OSB installed as media server, admin and client - Contains RMAN Repository) - configured as per guide. I can see the library tapes and have tested an OSB filesystem backup to tape which was fine, this was done from the OSB GUI.

Server 1 - databaseA, DatabaseB (OSB client installed) .

ZFS device - Shared storage where the FRA for DatabaseA belongs. All databaseA backups go here (currently databaseA is running in nonarchivelog mode).

I have set the tape details for databaseA, done a backup to the FRA but the backup recovery area to tape backup just hangs, no real errors and the job list through the obtool and list the job it always has state as 'retryable', I am wondering if I have missed some configuration somewhere? I am using Grid control for this.

I did have a couple of RMAN messages tried to resolve this as per some metalink notes to no avail, I am assuming this is causing the problem? Or am I missing something else?
      specification does not match any archived log in the repository
      specification does not match any datafile copy in the repository

Can anyone help?
        • 1. Re: OSB / RMAN configuration for recovery area backup
          user10090654
          Have forced the 'retyable' job to run via the ob tool the the job has finished.

ob> runj -n oracle10/6.1 -d tape2

Seems there is a time difference between my media server and database servers. Will get in sync and try again. I don't want to force the jobs to run each time.
          • 2. Re: OSB / RMAN configuration for recovery area backup
            user10090654
            Rest the times on the servers and now get the following errors:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
            RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
            RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
            RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_SBT_TAPE_1 channel at 10/28/2011 16:22:55
            ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="16mq8bjj_1_2", parms=""
            ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
            ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
            shmcheck: obscheduled reports that job 'oracle/16.1' has terminated with status 'failed'.
            The action at time of failure was 'wait_for_resource'.
            The error message was 'unknown'.
            exit;
            • 3. Re: OSB / RMAN configuration for recovery area backup
              dcooksey
              You may want to check how long the resource wait time is set for. If you set an RMAN resource wait time within osb, it could have fallen outside of that alloted time.