This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2012 9:31 AM by apex_disco RSS

Oracle connecting to MPE/IX using MINISOFT

apex_disco Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello all,

Hope someone can help with this inherited issue.

Old system: Windows server 2003 32 bit.
Old DB: 10.2.0.2

Current system: Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit.
EDIT: Current DB: 10.2.0.5

Need to establish connection in Oracle 11g / Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit to download some data from HP3000 MPE/IX before old system is shut down for good. Server Admin claimed he has installed MINISOFT 32 bit drivers and have created System DSN.
I believe the old system connects via Heterogeneous ODBC, because I found http://www.easysoft.com/applications/oracle/hsodbc.html and one of the steps showed configuration in iniths*.ora. The old system does have that configured.

Anyone familiar with these connections? I tried to follow http://www.easysoft.com/applications/oracle/hsodbc.html but stumble into connections issues.

1) Plus, I don't understand how it relates to MINISOFT - there's a whole folder of connections and schema files, specifying table structures in XML file extensions. I can't find anything at www.minisoft.com

2) I am getting errors ORA-28545: error diagnosed by Net8 when connecting to an agent Unable to retrieve text of NETWORK/NCR message 65535 ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from on the Database Link test in EM.

Edited by: apex_disco on Oct 31, 2011 7:03 AM
  • 1. Re: Oracle connecting to MPE/IX using MINISOFT
    mkirtley-Oracle Expert
    Hi,
    On your new Windows 64-bit system are you trying to use the 11g product Database Gateway for ODBC (DG4ODBC) or the older HSODBC ? We need to know because HSODBC was never ported to Windows 64-bit and you can only use DG4ODBC on the platform.
    The ORA-28545 usually indicates a configuration problem of some sort.
    To investigate further post the following files -

- gateway listener.ora
    - gateway init<sid>.ora

The following note on My Oracle Support describes how to setup DG4ODBC on Windows 64-bit -

Note.1266572.1 How to Setup DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on 64bit Windows Operating Systems

As long as you have correctly defined a System DSN using the Minisoft ODBC drivers then DG4ODBC should be able to make the connection. However, as you are using 64-bit DG4ODBC then the Minisoft drivers also need to be 64-bit. Connections won't work using 64-bit DG4ODBC and 32-bit ODBC drivers.

Regards,
    Mike
  • 2. Re: Oracle connecting to MPE/IX using MINISOFT
    apex_disco Newbie
    I don't know which file do you mean by gateway listener.ora; but, I believe it's HSODBC because the listener.ora in {ORACLE_HOME}/NETWORK/ADMIN are as follows:
        (SID_DESC=
          (SID_NAME = mnop)
          (ORACLE_HOME = D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1)
          (PROGRAM = hsodbc)
        )
      )
    Edit:
    As for the initmnop.ora file(s) in {ORACLE_HOME}/hs/admin, looks like it's on 32 bit. I only found the 3KODBC.DLL in SysWOW64 folder and not on the SYSTEM32 folder.
    HS_DB_NAME=MNOP
    HS_DB_DOMAIN=EFGH.COM
    HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO=mnop
    HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL=off
    HS_FDS_TRACE_FILE_NAME=mnop.trc
    HS_FDS_SHAREABLE_NAME=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\3KODBC.DLL 
    set ODBCINI=C:\Windows\ODBC.ini
    HS_RPC_FETCH_SIZE=32767
    HS_FDS_FETCH_ROWS=300
    Edited by: apex_disco on Oct 31, 2011 6:44 AM

Sorry ... just noticed my mistake. Current DB should be 10.2.0.5

Edited by: apex_disco on Oct 31, 2011 7:02 AM
  • 3. Re: Oracle connecting to MPE/IX using MINISOFT
    mkirtley-Oracle Expert
    Hi,
    Okay, that is the problem. As I said 10.2 HSODBC was never ported to Windows 64-bit. You need to install 11g DG4ODBC into as separate ORACLE_HOME from the existing 10.2 install and configure it according to the note referred to earlier.
    Please do this and let us know what happens.

Regards,
    Mike
  • 4. Re: Oracle connecting to MPE/IX using MINISOFT
    apex_disco Newbie
    I will try that. You did mention MINISOFT needs to be 64bit as well, correct? I am not sure if that exists; but I will update as I researched more into it.

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • 5. Re: Oracle connecting to MPE/IX using MINISOFT
    mkirtley-Oracle Expert
    Hi,
    Yes, the ODBC driver also needs to be 64-bit to work with the 64-bit DG4ODBC.

Regards,
    Mike
  • 6. Re: Oracle connecting to MPE/IX using MINISOFT
    apex_disco Newbie
    Sorry for the long reply ... having to go through a few hoops and loops - getting approved and paid for support licenses for the new drivers, etc.
    Installed new 64 bit drivers on MPE/IX. Configured and everything works awesome now.

Thank you so very much for your assistance throughout.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points