2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2011 2:28 PM by 897369 RSS

Is Oracle 11g client compatible with oracle 9i server ?

In our application we are using oracle 11g client to connect to oracle 9i server on linux 32 bit machine with glassfish v3.0.1 with jdk 1.6. As such there are no issue is getting connections etc.

The issue seen here is that whenever we do insert to database table and then doing select on same table to fetch the row inserted sporadically it sometimes give 0 results and if i check manually using sqlplus i can see same row in db table.

Some additional info:
      1) The insert and then select is happening in same thread.
      2) This issue is happening whether i am getting connection manually using DriverManager.getConnection(...) or even if i am using oracle glassfish v3.0.1 connection poolings.
      3) Oracle driver used is oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver (jdbc:oracle:oci:@<SID>)
      4) Also in case if i am using connection-pooling of oracle glassfish v3.0.1 and using connection-pool option "associate-with=thread="true", then this issue is not happening.
      5) Proper code is in place to commit the row inserted and close connections properly once insertion/selection is done

Any idea if anyone has seen this issue in past. Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

Amit Nanda
        • 1. Re: Is Oracle 11g client compatible with oracle 9i server ?
          Laurenz Albe
          I would run a client trace (since you are using the OCI driver) and -- more importantly -- a server trace to see what is going on.

You say that both the insert and the subsequent select run in the same session? Weird.
          Is the server a single instance or a RAC?

Laurenz Albe
          • 2. Re: Is Oracle 11g client compatible with oracle 9i server ?

Thanks for your reply, looking forward to make changes in sqlnet.ora to trace client/server.

Also, requirement is as such that we have insert and subsequent select. (Will insert one row with 2 column values and one column value is autogenerated, in select we are capturing the autogenerated value in insert.)

Server is RAC.
            Also the same insert/select was working fine when we were using oracle9i client with oracle 9i server on jdk 1.4 on Sun One Application Server 7.