1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2011 3:11 PM by Avi Miller-Oracle RSS

    Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly

    __OUTSIDER___
      I installed Oracle VM 3.0.2 and VNC works slowly and bad sometimes
      even stops working and freeze the screen anyone faces this problem also.

      thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
          Sebastian Solbach -Dba Community-Oracle
          Hi,

          as a workaround you can configure the VNC to use a local VNC viewer installed on the computer you are using the manager from.
          This may be more stable and increase performance.

          Regards
          Sebastian
          • 2. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
            __OUTSIDER___
            thanks Sebastian for reply
            I already use local VNC client such as RealVNC and TightVNC.
            In Oracle VM 2 VNC works more stable and fast...
            How do you think this can happen if network is slow (100MB)
            or incorrectly configured (VM Network)?
            thanks
            • 3. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
              Sebastian Solbach -Dba Community-Oracle
              Are you only talking about the VNC called from VM Manager?
              Have you tried configuring a VNC server on the guest system itself, and connecting to it?
              Do you experiance the same VNC problems for the guest configured VNC or only on the one called from VM Manager?

              Just trying to narrow down your problem, since I do not experiance differences between 2.2. and 3.0 (at least none which I did recognize)

              Regards
              Sebastian
              • 4. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                __OUTSIDER___
                Yes Sebastian from VM Manager I can connect to guests and it works
                fine but when I try connect direct (to VM SERVER not to guest)
                via VNC clients VNC works bad.

                thanks
                • 5. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                  Avi Miller-Oracle
                  __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                  Yes Sebastian from VM Manager I can connect to guests and it works
                  fine but when I try connect direct (to VM SERVER not to guest) via VNC clients VNC works bad.
                  VNC is only supported from within Oracle VM Manager to guest consoles. We don't not support VNC to the Oracle VM Server itself.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                    __OUTSIDER___
                    Avi Miller wrote:
                    __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                    Yes Sebastian from VM Manager I can connect to guests and it works
                    fine but when I try connect direct (to VM SERVER not to guest) via VNC clients VNC works bad.
                    VNC is only supported from within Oracle VM Manager to guest consoles. We don't not support VNC to the Oracle VM Server itself.
                    thank you Avi for reply.
                    So if I need give graphical interface to same administrator I have to give login
                    and password for Oracle VM Manager as well ?
                    • 7. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                      Avi Miller-Oracle
                      __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                      So if I need give graphical interface to same administrator I have to give login
                      and password for Oracle VM Manager as well ?
                      Yes, all administration for OVM3 should be done via the Manager. You should never login to the server directly.
                      • 8. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                        __OUTSIDER___
                        Avi Miller wrote:
                        __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                        So if I need give graphical interface to same administrator I have to give login
                        and password for Oracle VM Manager as well ?
                        Yes, all administration for OVM3 should be done via the Manager. You should never login to the server directly.
                        No I mean administrators for guests OS's , these administrators
                        not allowed to connect OVManager or OVServer. This is simple rule
                        for Virtual infrastructure security standards. They are connect to their
                        OS (guests) directly from SSH for Linux and RDP for Windows but how about VNC ?
                        I will do right if I will install "tightvnc-java-1.3.9-3.noarch.rpm" in OVServers and
                        guests OS's administrators will have unique password for VNC?


                        Conclusion

                        1. VNC works fine from OVManager because "tightvnc-java-1.3.9-3.noarch.rpm"
                        already installed in host where installed OVManager.
                        2. VNC works slowly and with problems when we connect to OVServer
                        direct because in these servers "tightvnc-java-1.3.9-3.noarch.rpm" not installed.

                        Correct me if I am wrong.

                        Thanks
                        • 9. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                          Avi Miller-Oracle
                          __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                          I will do right if I will install "tightvnc-java-1.3.9-3.noarch.rpm" in OVServers and
                          guests OS's administrators will have unique password for VNC?
                          No. This will not work.
                          Correct me if I am wrong.
                          Setup VNC from inside the guests itself and have your guest administrators connect directly to the guest. Installing tightvnc-java on the Servers will not work. The guest consoles are not exposed via VNC in OVM3 like they were in OVM2. We tunnel the consoles via a secure SSL pipe through the Manager.
                          • 10. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                            Avi Miller-Oracle
                            __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                            2. VNC works slowly and with problems when we connect to OVServer
                            direct because in these servers "tightvnc-java-1.3.9-3.noarch.rpm" not installed.
                            This is not supported at all with OVM3. You can ONLY connect to the guest consoles via Oracle VM Manager. No other VNC is allowed. It shouldn't allow you to connect at all.
                            • 11. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                              __OUTSIDER___
                              Avi Miller wrote:
                              __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                              2. VNC works slowly and with problems when we connect to OVServer
                              direct because in these servers "tightvnc-java-1.3.9-3.noarch.rpm" not installed.
                              This is not supported at all with OVM3. You can ONLY connect to the guest consoles via Oracle VM Manager. No other VNC is allowed. It shouldn't allow you to connect at all.
                              How do you imagine that?
                              How can you give OVM manager username and password to all your
                              guests administrators. What if someone will do something wrong.
                              What if let us say someone will stop the server or create clone of virtual Disk where we store
                              DB data.

                              I think we should clearly separate who is who. Guest OS administrator
                              can't manage whole OVM infrastructure such as Discovered servers,
                              storages, repository, networks and etc.

                              With all due respect Avi I can say that OVM server opens the
                              LISTEN connection for VNC (PORT 590*) and I will can simply connect
                              with VNC client via Server to dom-U.

                              Do you know is there some option , can I create users in OVM
                              with limited permission?

                              thanks for your time and support.
                              • 12. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                                Avi Miller-Oracle
                                __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                                What if let us say someone will stop the server or create clone of virtual Disk where we store DB data.
                                This is currently not possible with OVM3: we do not yet have role-based access control in Oracle VM Manager. You can use Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control to provide this level of granular administration.
                                With all due respect Avi I can say that OVM server opens the LISTEN connection for VNC (PORT 590*) and I will can simply connect with VNC client via Server to dom-U.
                                No, it doesn't: it listens on localhost only and doesn't expose VNC to the network. This is then captured by ovm-consoled on the server and routed via an SSL-encrypted tunnel to the Manager. The Manager then provides an SSL-encrypted tunnel to the RAS Proxy agent that runs on your desktop. The VNC client in fact connects to that locally. So, at no point does your desktop ever connect to any of the Oracle VM 3.0 Servers directly for VNC.
                                Do you know is there some option , can I create users in OVM with limited permission?
                                No. Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control allows you to do this.
                                • 13. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                                  __OUTSIDER___
                                  Avi Miller wrote:
                                  __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                                  What if let us say someone will stop the server or create clone of virtual Disk where we store DB data.
                                  This is currently not possible with OVM3: we do not yet have role-based access control in Oracle VM Manager. You can use Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control to provide this level of granular administration.
                                  With all due respect Avi I can say that OVM server opens the LISTEN connection for VNC (PORT 590*) and I will can simply connect with VNC client via Server to dom-U.
                                  No, it doesn't: it listens on localhost only and doesn't expose VNC to the network. This is then captured by ovm-consoled on the server and routed via an SSL-encrypted tunnel to the Manager. The Manager then provides an SSL-encrypted tunnel to the RAS Proxy agent that runs on your desktop. The VNC client in fact connects to that locally. So, at no point does your desktop ever connect to any of the Oracle VM 3.0 Servers directly for VNC.
                                  Do you know is there some option , can I create users in OVM with limited permission?
                                  No. Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control allows you to do this.
                                  Yes I heard about Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control I will try.
                                  thank you Avi and Sebastian.
                                  if have a time please have a look.

                                  [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRgADgZ0uOM]
                                  • 14. Re: Oracle VM 3.0.2 VNC works slowly
                                    Avi Miller-Oracle
                                    __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                                    if have a time please have a look.
                                    Have you manually edited the vm.cfg for this guest? This should not be happening by default. Oracle VM should not be allowing inbound VNC to that port. The reason you're probably getting bad VNC access is that the ovs-consoled process is ALSO attached to the same VNC console.
                                    1 2 Previous Next