This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 4:11 AM by Tridus RSS

Special problem with Oracle ODBC Driver on Win2k8 R2 64bit not listed

896069 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

i'm currently migrating a W2k3 32bit server to a new win2k8 r2 64bit server.
Migrating MySQL and Teradata ODBC drivers worked well. But I've ran into the problem with Oracle ODBC.

The problem is i can't create new DSN's, because the driver is not shown in every setup window or rather the ODBC Administration Tool.

But it's not a normal problem i think. I've read so many posts and forums already and no solution has worked for me. Every solution told me i have to open the 32bit console where the driver will be shown, but this is not the solution i want to get. So please read the rest of my post carefully.

What is my setup so far?
I've installed 64-bit ODAC 11.2 Release 3 (11.2.0.2.1) for Windows x64 from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html
Yes, I mean the xcopy version. I've installed this version (installoption: all), ran the configure batch file (configure option: all, which means also instantclient should be configured) and configured the sqlnet.ora etc. files. The connection to the oracle db's can be established trough applications which have an oracle connection wizard included, but i can't create ODBC DSN's.

I'm running a Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit server.

So have somebody an idea how to get the oracle odbc driver running? My goal is to get the Oracle ODBC Driver listed in the driver tab when you want to create a DSN like the MySQL and Teradata driver. Instantclient should be installed according to the installation of the xcopy ODAC version.

Thanks for any replys.

Regards
  • 1. Re: Special problem with Oracle ODBC Driver on Win2k8 R2 64bit not listed
    896069 Newbie
    It seems to be my problem has been solved.

My steps i've performed are these:
    Download Page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winx64soft-089540.html
    1.) Download and unzip instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.2.0.zip to C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2
    2.) Download and unzip instantclient-odbc-windows.x64-11.2.0.2.0.zip to C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2
    3.) Run the odbc_install.exe in the folder.
    4.) Add the path to the System PATH-Variable
    5.) Open the ODBC Manager and hurray the driver will be shown

I think the essential part of this procedure is to add the path to the variable.

I hope this can help others to solve their problems.
  • 2. Re: Special problem with Oracle ODBC Driver on Win2k8 R2 64bit not listed
    896768 Newbie
    Quoting:

My steps i've performed are these:
    Download Page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winx64soft-089540.html
    1.) Download and unzip instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.2.0.zip to C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2
    2.) Download and unzip instantclient-odbc-windows.x64-11.2.0.2.0.zip to C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2
    3.) Run the odbc_install.exe in the folder.
    4.) Add the path to the System PATH-Variable
    5.) Open the ODBC Manager and hurray the driver will be shown

These steps did not work for me. I got an error when I ran odbc_install.exe -- some problem with the registry. When I downloaded the full client, I was able to install it as Instant_client. Unfortunately, I still have problems. No 32 bit ODBC driver shows up when I run the ODBC administrator in the windows/syswow64 directory.
  • 3. Re: Special problem with Oracle ODBC Driver on Win2k8 R2 64bit not listed
    896768 Newbie
    I finally got it to work. I've concluded that the instant client downloads don't work for Win2k8 R2. The following worked:
    download the full client for oracle 11.2.0.1.0 for 64 bit windows and install
    download the full client for oracle 11.2.0.1.0 for 32 bit windows and install
    Use the odbc administrator in the syswow64 directory to create a DSN pointing to oracle.
    Works fine.
  • 4. Re: Special problem with Oracle ODBC Driver on Win2k8 R2 64bit not listed
    974883 Newbie
    I am a total "newb" to this. I've installed Oracle 11g 64-bit server, and need to be able to install both the 32-bit and 64-bit clients. I was reading your post, and have been researching out on the web regarding how to install both clients so that they coexist. I want to try your method, but was wondering if you installed each client into its own client folder, and if so, where that folder exists? I'm uncertain if I need to create both a 32-bit and a 64-bit TNS Listener; or how the listener knows which client to run. I'm also uncertain whether it makes a difference if I run the Net Configuration Assistant from the 64-bit server installation, e.g., does that create a 64-bit Listener which will conflict with the 32-bit client? I could use some clarification on this. As I said, this all new to me, so please keep the laughter down to a dull roar when you read this post.
    Thanks!
  • 5. Re: Special problem with Oracle ODBC Driver on Win2k8 R2 64bit not listed
    Tridus Journeyer
    You can install the two clients, they just need to be in different locations.

Listeners and such are server things, so I don't know much about those.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points