2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2011 10:33 AM by morgalr RSS

Client to database connection

This should be easy. Machine 1 (Windows 7) is running the database. Machine 2 (also Windows 7) is ONLY running SQL Developer. Where do I put the tnsnames.ora file and what else may I be forgetting on the client? Can't connect - obviously I"m missing some of the network stuff but I'm not sure what and do not want a full Oracle install on the little bitty Machine 2.
        • 1. Re: Client to database connection
          TPD-Opitz
          867728 wrote:
          This should be easy. Machine 1 (Windows 7) is running the database. Machine 2 (also Windows 7) is ONLY running SQL Developer. Where do I put the tnsnames.ora file and what else may I be forgetting on the client? Can't connect - obviously I"m missing some of the network stuff but I'm not sure what and do not want a full Oracle install on the little bitty Machine 2.
          If you want to use the <tt>tnsnames.ora</tt> you need an oracle client on Machine 2 to support the SQLdeveloper.

bye
          TPD
          • 2. Re: Client to database connection
            morgalr
            On the server, you want to do your install and be sure it is running properly, connect using SQL-Plus and make sure it's working--which includes your listener is working properly. You can check the status of your listener using Enterprise Manager.

One you client box, you need to install the Oracle Client tools. Once that is done you'll use Net Manager on the client box to setup access to your Oracle instance on your server. Once you have defined your service on your client box, then use it to connect to the server instance with anything that uses a JDBC client on that client box.