5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2011 9:59 PM by zonski

Removing CSS style classes?

zonski
      This is partly a question on whether this is expected behaviour or an unfortunate side effect, and partly a heads-up to anyone doing anything similar.

The summary: removing a 'styleclass' from a Node does not remove the styling from the node

If, for example, I have a Label and I add a styleclass to it that makes the border red, when the label is rendered the red border is applied to the Label. If I then remove that styleclass, there is now nothing on that Label telling the CSS engine to update the border so the engine now leaves the border untouched - i.e. it stays red. The only way it would get set back, is if the original style of the Label had a border setting that the CSS engine could then apply.

For me, this is not what I was expecting and I spent a fair bit of time chasing my tail on this. My way of thinking was that when I remove the style class it would revert the label back to exactly how it was before I added the style. Was my way of thinking wrong or is this a flaw in the CSS approach that should be logged in JIRA?

Below is some sample code that demonstrates the problem. I've used a default style that clears the background but does not clear the border - when you click on the button the background changes colour, but once the border is set, it is set for life.

TestApp.java
      public void start(Stage stage) throws Exception
      {
          FlowPane root = new FlowPane(10, 10);

final Label styledLabel = new Label("Use the toggle button to turn on and off highlight for this label");
          styledLabel.getStyleClass().add("normal");
          root.getChildren().add(styledLabel);

ToggleButton button = new ToggleButton("Show Highlight");
          button.selectedProperty().addListener(new ChangeListener<Boolean>()
          {
              public void changed(ObservableValue<? extends Boolean> source, Boolean wasSelected, Boolean isSelected)
              {
                  if (isSelected)
                  {
                      styledLabel.getStyleClass().add("highlighted");
                  }
                  else
                  {
                      styledLabel.getStyleClass().remove("highlighted");
                  }
              }
          });
          root.getChildren().add(button);