This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2011 10:41 PM by 869998 RSS

Upgrade using datapump from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3

869998 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Experts,
I have few doubts regarding oracle database upgrade from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3 using datapumps.
We were actually comfortable to upgrade the production database manually which takes less time than using datapumps however our client is insisting us to do the upgrade by using datapump in order to improve the performance of the database.

My questions are:

1) is it risky to delete the old database once export is taken as we do not have much space in the server to accommodate both the databases and the dump file. However we are taking the cold backup of the entire filesystem in the tape.

2) Is there anything as such (objects etc) that will not be imported and we need to take them into consideration.

3) What about DBMS_Scheduler jobs and dba jobs, will that be imported successfully or anything we need to do post upgrade.

4) I actually tried this method in my local test box and import was completed with around 240 errors.

Finally, can anyone please provide me with the exact steps, docs for the Upgrade using this method.

Thanks in Advance
Asif
  • 1. Re: Upgrade using datapump from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl post OS details

The steps are documented here - http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/expimp.htm

Pl elaborate on what performance issues are expected to be solved by this process. What are the errors that you got in your test import.

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Upgrade using datapump from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3
    869998 Newbie
    HI There,
    Actually there are some white pages, fragmentation has become more in the database that is why it was recommended to us by an OCM to use this method.

Following are some of the errors that we got:

ORA-31684: Object type TABLESPACE:"UNDOTBS1" already exists
    ORA-31684: Object type ROLE:"RECOVERY_CATALOG_OWNER" already exists
    ORA-31684: Object type SEQUENCE:"SYSTEM"."REPCAT$_EXCEPTIONS_S" already exists
    ORA-39082: Object type TYPE:"OE"."SHIPPING_INSTRUCTIONS_T" created with compilation warnings
    ORA-39082: Object type TYPE:"OE"."PURCHASEORDER_T" created with compilation warnings
    ORA-39083: Object type PROCOBJ failed to create with error:
    ORA-29357: object AUTO_TASK_CONSUMER_GROUP already exists
    ORA-39151: Table "OUTLN"."OL$" exists. All dependent metadata and data will be skipped due to table_exists_action of skip
    ORA-39151: Table "SYSTEM"."LOGSTDBY$SCN" exists. All dependent metadata and data will be skipped due to table_exists_action of skip
    ORA-39151: Table "SYSTEM"."REPCAT$_EXCEPTIONS" exists. All dependent metadata and data will be skipped due to table_exists_action of skip

ORA-39117: Type needed to create table is not included in this operation. Failing sql is:
    Processing object type DATABASE_EXPORT/SCHEMA/TABLE/PRE_TABLE_ACTION
    Processing object type DATABASE_EXPORT/SCHEMA/TABLE/TABLE_DATA
    . . imported "SH"."CUSTOMERS" 9.850 MB 55500 rows
    . . imported "SH"."SUPPLEMENTARY_DEMOGRAPHICS" 695.9 KB 4500 rows
    . . imported "OE"."PRODUCT_DESCRIPTIONS" 2.379 MB 8640 rows
    . . imported "SH"."SALES":"SALES_Q4_2001" 2.257 MB 69749 rows
    . . imported "SH"."SALES":"SALES_Q1_1999" 2.070 MB 64186 rows
    . . imported "SH"."SALES":"SALES_Q3_2001" 2.129 MB 65769 rows
    ... etc.
    ORA-31693: Table data object "OE"."LINEITEM_TABLE" failed to load/unload and is being skipped due to error:
    ORA-31603: object "LINEITEM_TABLE" of type TABLE not found in schema "OE"
    ORA-31693: Table data object "OE"."ACTION_TABLE" failed to load/unload and is being skipped due to error:
    ORA-31603: object "ACTION_TABLE" of type TABLE not found in schema "OE"

ORA-39083: Object type INDEX_STATISTICS failed to create with error:
    ORA-20000: INDEX "OE"."LINEITEM_TABLE_MEMBERS" does not exist or insufficient privileges
    Failing sql is:
    DECLARE I_N VARCHAR2(60); I_O VARCHAR2(60); c DBMS_METADATA.T_VAR_COLL; df varchar2(21) := 'YYYY-MM-DD:HH24:MI:SS'; BEGIN DELETE FROM "SYS"."IMPDP_STATS"; i_n := 'LINEITEM_TABLE_MEMBERS'; i_o := 'OE'; INSERT INTO "SYS"."IMPDP_STATS" (type,version,flags,c1,c2,c3,c5,n1,n2,n3,n4,n5,n6,n7,n8,n9,n10,n11,n12,d1,cl1) VALUES ('I'
    ORA-39083: Object type INDEX_STATISTICS failed to create with error:
    ORA-20000: INDEX "OE"."ACTION_TABLE_MEMBERS" does not exist or insufficient privileges
    Failing sql is:

ORA-31684: Object type VIEW:"SYSTEM"."MVIEW_WORKLOAD" already exists
    ORA-31684: Object type VIEW:"SYSTEM"."MVIEW_FILTER" already exists
    ORA-31684: Object type VIEW:"SYSTEM"."MVIEW_LOG" already exists

ORA-39111: Dependent object type COMMENT skipped, base object type VIEW:"SYSTEM"."MVIEW_EVALUATIONS" already exists
    ORA-39111: Dependent object type COMMENT skipped, base object type VIEW:"SYSTEM"."MVIEW_EXCEPTIONS" already exists
    ORA-39082: Object type VIEW:"OLAPSYS"."ALL$OLAP2_AW_CATALOGS" created with compilation warnings
    ORA-39082: Object type VIEW:"OLAPSYS"."ALL$OLAP2_AW_CATALOG_MEASURES" created with compilation warnings
    ORA-39082: Object type VIEW:"OLAPSYS"."ALL$OLAP2_AW_PHYS_OBJ" created with compilation warnings

ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"OLAPSYS"."CWM2_OLAP_OLAPAPI_ENABLE" created with compilation warnings
    ORA-39082: Object type PACKAGE_BODY:"OLAPSYS"."DBMS_AWM" created with compilation warnings

ORA-39083: Object type INDEX failed to create with error:
    ORA-06550: line 2, column 1:
    PLS-00201: identifier 'CTXSYS.DRIIMP' must be declared
    ORA-06550: line 2, column 1:
    PL/SQL: Statement ignored
    ORA-06550: line 8, column 1:
    ORA-06550: line 8, column 1:
    PL/SQL: Statement ignored
    ORA-06550: line 10, column 1:
    ORA-06550: line 10, column 1:

ORA-39082: Object type TRIGGER:"OE"."ORDERS_ITEMS_TRG" created with compilation warnings
    Processing object type DATABASE_EXPORT/SCHEMA/MATERIALIZED_VIEW

Job "SYS"."SYS_IMPORT_FULL_01" completed with 249 error(s) at 10:07:32

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    export command:

expdp \'/ as sysdba\' directory=testdir logfile=expdp_17Nov2011.log dumpfile=expdp_17Nov2011.dmp full=y EXCLUDE=SCHEMA:\"IN \(\'SYSMAN\', \'DBSNMP\'\)\"

create database statement:

CREATE DATABASE SWBPROD
    user sys identified by set_password
    user system identified by set_password
    -- SET DEFAULT BIGFILE TABLESPACE
    maxdatafiles 1024
    maxinstances 5
    maxloghistory 1000
    maxlogmembers 5
    maxlogfiles 64
    DATAFILE '/dbo/sysdata/SWBPROD_system_00.dbf' SIZE 400M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 20M MAXSIZE unlimited
    extent management local
    SYSAUX DATAFILE '/dbo/sysdata/SWBPROD_sysaux_00.dbf' SIZE 20M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 20M MAXSIZE unlimited
    DEFAULT TABLESPACE USERS DATAFILE '/dbo/data2/SWBPROD_users_00.dbf' SIZE 512M reuse
    AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 16M MAXSIZE 30G autoallocate
    SMALLFILE DEFAULT TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP TEMPFILE '/dbo/temp/SWBPROD_temp_01.dbf' SIZE 1G reuse AUTOEXTEND ON
    NEXT 32M MAXSIZE 30G UNIFORM SIZE 1M
    UNDO TABLESPACE "UNDOTBS" DATAFILE '/dbo/undo/SWBPROD_undo_00.dbf' SIZE 200M reuse
    AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 20M MAXSIZE 10G
    RETENTION GUARANTEE
    CHARACTER SET AL32UTF8
    NATIONAL CHARACTER SET AL16UTF16
    CONTROLFILE REUSE
    LOGFILE group 1 ('/dbo/redo1/SWBPROD/redo_01a.log','/dbo/redo2/SWBPROD/redo_01b.log') SIZE 50M REUSE,
    group 2 ('/dbo/redo2/SWBPROD/redo_02a.log','/dbo/redo1/SWBPROD/redo_02b.log') SIZE 50M REUSE,
    group 3 ('/dbo/redo1/SWBPROD/redo_03a.log','/dbo/redo2/SWBPROD/redo_03b.log') SIZE 50M REUSE,
    group 4 ('/dbo/redo2/SWBPROD/redo_04a.log','/dbo/redo1/SWBPROD/redo_04b.log') SIZE 50M REUSE;

alter user outln identified by outln;
    alter user dbsnmp identified by dbsnmp;

Alter system set SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON=FALSE SCOPE=BOTH;

and then we have run the following scripts: Please advice if any other script needs to be run.
    @?/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql
    @?/rdbms/admin/catproc.sql
    @?/rdbms/admin/dbmspool
    @?/rdbms/admin/prvtpool.plb
    @?/rdbms/admin/utlchain
    @?/rdbms/admin/utlxplan
    @?/rdbms/admin/catblock
    @?/sqlplus/admin/plustrce

@?/javavm/install/initjvm.sql;
    @?/xdk/admin/initxml.sql;
    @?/xdk/admin/xmlja.sql;

conn system/&&SYSTEMPW
    @?/sqlplus/admin/pupbld

conn / as sysdba
    @?/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql
    select owner, object_type, object_name from dba_invalid_objects;

Import all the data from the dumpfile.
    imp command:

impdp \'/ as sysdba\' directory=testdir logfile=impdp_17Nov2011.log dumpfile=expdp_17Nov2011.dmp full=y EXCLUDE=SCHEMA:\"IN \(\'SYSMAN\', \'DBSNMP\'\)\"

Also please let me know if dba_scheduler jobs and dba jobs will also get imported?

Thanks again
    Asif

Edited by: 866995 on Nov 18, 2011 5:36 AM
  • 3. Re: Upgrade using datapump from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3
    Expdp and Impdp should be run as SYSTEM, not as SYSDBA. See the first "Note" in each of these two links.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/dp_export.htm#sthref57
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e22490/dp_import.htm#i1012504

Pl retry expdp and impdp using SYSTEM.

The "object already exists" errors can be ignored - others will need to be fixed. Pl ensure that expdp completes without any errors before starting impdp.

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: Upgrade using datapump from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3
    869998 Newbie
    Hello Srini

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually we always use sysdba and not system, I dont think there will be any problem but still as you suggested I will try with system as well.
    I have couple of question for you:
    1) Currently there is more Fragmentation in our database. Is going with datapump export/import upgrade method the correct way to deal with it in Production server?
    2) What is the Oracle recommended best practice for database Upgrade. As per my knowledge and docs it is DBUA?
    3) What about DBMS scheduler jobs. Do we need to re-create them after the Upgrade?

Thanks again
    Asif
  • 5. Re: Upgrade using datapump from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3
    866995 wrote:
    Hello Srini

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually we always use sysdba and not system, I dont think there will be any problem but still as you suggested I will try with system as well.
    As noted in the documentation, you should not use sysdba for export/imports. Oracle has a very good reason for making that statement.
    I have couple of question for you:
    1) Currently there is more Fragmentation in our database. Is going with datapump export/import upgrade method the correct way to deal with it in Production server?
    Yes - pl see this link - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/preup.htm#BABFHFIJ
    2) What is the Oracle recommended best practice for database Upgrade. As per my knowledge and docs it is DBUA?
    Yes - this is the recommended method - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/preup.htm#i694345
    3) What about DBMS scheduler jobs. Do we need to re-create them after the Upgrade?
    Scheduler jobs will be exported/imported - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/schedadmin003.htm#i1007297
    Thanks again
    Asif
    HTH
    Srini
  • 6. Re: Upgrade using datapump from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.3
    869998 Newbie
    Hi Srini,
    Thanks for your time and response.

Regards
    Asif

Legend