I couldn't find much about this out in the wild. I'm very new to NetSuite, but fairly experienced with CRMs.
Our company does a lot of account-based marketing (ABM) where we market to existing customers - a very large customer pool where we're constantly trying to cross-sell and make sure no one is underserved.
Back in SF, we used the legacy Lead process, where you always create a new Lead even if the Account pre-exists. That way, once converted, the resulting Opportunity would be tied to the original Lead - and therefore sales attribution would stay intact via direct connection from the Opp to 'Converted Lead'. Simply viewing a "Leads with Converted Opportunity Data" type report was simple and provided a perfect 1:1 relationship between the Lead supplied by the marketing team, to the sale created by the rep. With 'Lightning' the conversion process was enhanced to include better record merging (existing Account/Contact/Opp) during time of conversion.
Over in NetSuite CRM, there's a robust flow from Lead to Prospect to Customer, but I'm curious as to what others have put into place by way of hard controls or soft processes to ensure that sales with pre-existing customers, that were spurred by a marketing lead, still get attributed to the proper source/channel.
Any info or detail on your setup will be super appreciated! One person I talked to said they have the marketing team create the Lead/Prospect AND placeholder Opportunity. Is that pretty common?