Forum Stats

• 3,767,858 Users
  • 2,252,726 Discussions
  • 7,874,366 Comments

Discussions

FDM export to HFM - 2nd export did not clear all data from 1st export?

user10242333
user10242333 Member Posts: 8
edited Jun 3, 2010 11:13AM in Financial Consolidation
Has anyone experienced exporting a replacement FDM file to HFM where the 2nd file did not contain an account that was present in the original file and that account/value in the 1st file then remained in the HFM trial balance and caused it to be out of balance? Does the replace export option not clear all the prior file data? The only unusual part of it might be that the problem account was derived using logic group script? Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Erich Ranz
    Erich Ranz Member Posts: 570
    Accepted Answer
    I had an embarrassingly long struggle with something like this in which I ultimately found out I had loaded data in one entity during the first load, then didn't load anything for it the second. I kept tyring to figure out why there was still data in the entity in HFM after the second FDM load, but finally realized I needed to load something in the entity to get it to clear. We ended up just loading .01 into one account. Hopefully your situation is similar and easy to solve.

Answers

• Erich Ranz
    Erich Ranz Member Posts: 570
    Accepted Answer
    I had an embarrassingly long struggle with something like this in which I ultimately found out I had loaded data in one entity during the first load, then didn't load anything for it the second. I kept tyring to figure out why there was still data in the entity in HFM after the second FDM load, but finally realized I needed to load something in the entity to get it to clear. We ended up just loading .01 into one account. Hopefully your situation is similar and easy to solve.
    631379 Member Posts: 660
    Henson is right on. The replace option replaces data by subcube, and only clears out the subcubes present in the load file. The previous load file has absolutely nothing to do with the current file.
  • Thanks Hensen - Sure, it was easy enough to fix once I deduced what the problem was - although my solution was just to use the data clear function and reload. The real question is how to prevent it from happening again and it sounds like I can't do much about it - other than trying to train the users to watch out for do-over files that have fewer accounts than the original load?? Am I wrong to think that HFM should try to fully clear all previous data from a load file if there is a replacement or at least try to validate whether or not all prior accounts have been repopulated?? There's plenty of good validation in the validation step of FDM. Why not during the export step? If this makes sense, I'll put in another "enhancement request" to support.
  • Did you create any dummy file with amount 0.01 for one account and loaded it before actual export.
  • TonyScalese
    TonyScalese Member Posts: 1,108 Bronze Trophy
    This is default behavior of HFM. It is not related to FDM. When you load to HFM in replace mode, the subcube for each entity beign loaded is cleared. The subcube is defined as the Account, ICP, C1-4, View & Period.

You can customize FDM to perform a "smart replace" that will clear the entity previously loaded even if that entity is not in the current data set. Loading a value of .01 is not recommended.
    631379 Member Posts: 660
    You could create a file that has zero for the amount and 1 line per cube that you want to clear out and load it directly to HFM (not through FDM) using a task flow. The cube gets cleared and you don't corrupt your data with a .01.
This discussion has been closed.