Forum Stats

• 3,781,434 Users
  • 2,254,520 Discussions
  • 7,879,694 Comments

Discussions

ApplicationObject

3004 Member Posts: 204,171
The devkit documentation doesn't go into very much detail about when and where I it would be beneficial to subclass Application Object.

I have some application data that isn't really intended to be treated as Folders or Documents. Is ApplicationObject intended for this type of data? What are the benefits and drawbacks of subclassing ApplicationObject rather than Document or Folder. Can relationships be established between ApplicationObjects?

Comments

In general Application object should be used for items that only have attributes (IE They do not have content) and that will not be foldered, as Application Objects are not generally visable via the protocol servers.

An Example

An XML Document contains a Purchase Order Object. The purchase order object has embedded purchase order line objects. The purchase order object is the object that will be foldered. The purchase order line objects are only visable as part of a purchase order. I would make Purchase order extend document, but purchase order line would extend application object
    null
    Thanks, this sounds like what I'm looking for.
This discussion has been closed.