Forum Stats

• 3,824,817 Users
  • 2,260,426 Discussions
  • 7,896,323 Comments

Discussions

IFS install trouble

3004 Member Posts: 204,171 Green Ribbon
[email protected]
I am in the process of installing IFS and have reached the final step of running the ifssetup script as root but I keep getting this error.
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
Is there some problem that root is having accessing the database?

Comments

Can you access the database using sqlplus? Can you do this logged in as the oracle user as well as the root user? Do you have your ORACLE_HOME, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PATH environment variables set correctly? Is the database running?
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luis:
    Can you access the database using sqlplus? Can you do this logged in as the oracle user as well as the root user? Do you have your ORACLE_HOME, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PATH environment variables set correctly? Is the database running?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can not access via sqlplus as root, so the first thing I did was give root all the Oracle variables and it still did not work.
    The database, listener, & context server are all running.
    Thanks, DJ
    null
    I have set the environment with TNS_ADMIN and am now able to connect via sqlplus as root. I will try to start ifs services now. Thanks for the help.
    After attempting to set the environment variables I have discovered that I still can't connect when trying to run ifssetup as root. I am still getting Oracle not available again.
    This is a problem with your environment. You'll need to see what's different about your "standard" (non-root) environment and your root one. When you figure out exactly what's missing or what is causing the problem, please post your solution. Perhaps we can prevent the problem by adding something to the ifssetup script.
    I took the .cshrc from my oracle user and copied it to the root user and I sill get the error. Does anyone know what variable I am misssing? Does IFS even work on Solaris7 with 8.1.6 running on the same box?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luis:
    This is a problem with your environment. You'll need to see what's different about your "standard" (non-root) environment and your root one. When you figure out exactly what's missing or what is causing the problem, please post your solution. Perhaps we can prevent the problem by adding something to the ifssetup script.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

null
    hi,
    if it is a problem with environment then i have a question: are you loggin in as root on the x-terminal or by telnet/ssh or by
    "su -"? then you get your root-environment.
    you could try this: login as your oracle-user, then change to root-user by "su". the oracle-environment-settings should still be there. now try to run the script.
    ciao,
    alex
    Thanks for the assistance. I have tried by doing su to the root user while retaining the Oracle user environment. I am lost now. I can't figure out why I cant start anything as root.
This discussion has been closed.