Forum Stats

• 3,851,487 Users
  • 2,263,988 Discussions
  • 7,904,736 Comments

Discussions

Sunblade 2000 - Audio nothing but static

807557 Member Posts: 35,835
I don't know when this happened, but audio has always been fine on my SB 2K with Sol 10 5/09.

Recently I updated the OBP to 4.16.4, added a 72gb drive, and a Type 7 kb/mouse.

Playing anything through the audio device results in static. Includes videos, xmms, adobe flash, etc, on any output device such as internal speaker or line-out.

At first I thought it might be the sound card, so I swapped it with one out of a Ultra 60 (same part and rev) and it exhibits the same behavior.

Really at a loss and could use some help troubleshooting/fixing this. There seems to be absolutely nothing on the web about anyone else having had this issue so I'm still not ruling out a hardware issue, but besides the audio card module what else could have failed?

could really use some help if you have any ideas on stuff I could try.

Thanks

Comments

807557 Member Posts: 35,835
    Some more info on this. I've found that in xmms if I put the output volume at 1%, I can hear legible audio....Is is as though the GAIN is way to high on the audio device, but of course I've checked all of that with the Audio Control mixer that comes with the JDS.

My understanding of the driver are that the re-initialize the card at ever boot. So I'm really at a loss as to what could be going wrong.
  • I'm going to pull random ideas out of thin air, for troubleshooting purposes ...
    You did a number of minor changes and may need to undo some to find if any specific one is the cause (instead of the combionation of all the changes giving you these results).

You could consider removing the Type7 keyboard/mouse kit and reverting to whatever you previously had. They may be pulling just a tiny bit more or different power through the system and effecting some signalling. Also, examine the USB ports on the chassis. You may have bumped something and bent out something that is added a grounding short circuit.

You could consider down-revving the OBP to whatever you previously had. At least think about going down one version to 4.13.0 with OBP patch 111292-17. You can always put patch 118323-01 back on later to return to your new 4.16.4

These are mere guesses on what you could consider.
This discussion has been closed.