Forum Stats

• 3,851,566 Users
  • 2,263,999 Discussions
  • 7,904,781 Comments

Discussions

Is it possible to make a DVD rom work on Sparc Ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6?

807557 Member Posts: 35,835
I have been asked to try and get a DVD drive to work on a sparc ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6.
Its been a while since I have done much with an ultra 5. My first reaction was no. However I thought that I should ask just in case it can be done.
Its got to be Solaris 2.6 because of other applications running on it. I believe that the DVD has been installed using an IDE cable.
Can anybody give me any advice?

Thanks
Phil

Comments

799949 Member Posts: 348
    I don't know why it wouldn't work... there are some cd/dvd units that won't work...

not quite sure why one would waste time with the U5... too old, too slow.. not quite sure it would take Solaris 10, if that is why he wants to have a dvd in it...

sorry, in a bad mood.
    good luck,
    haroldkarl
  • Unknown
    edited Jul 14, 2009 12:02PM
    I have a vague recollection that the filesystem structure of DVD versus CD
    (and perhaps its capacity differences... )
    I said the recollection was vague...

are why the DVD optical media was not functional or usable.until Solaris 8.

Try an experiment.
    Put such a drive into the system, get a copy of CDRTOOLS for Solaris 2.6(SPARC)
    [http://www.sunfreeware.com/indexsparc26.html]
    and see if you can do anything with it.

Better yet, suggest to the system's owner that they go do it.
    It'd be a learning experience for them.

--
    I agree with Harold that Sol10 would be too much for that beastie.
    The sweet spot was Solaris 7 or 8.

Edit: ... and give the Duke Stars to Harold.
    I didn't realize you wanted to keep 2.6 on the beast...

you know, you could try to install a dvd before you ask this forum.... do you not have any adventure in you?

but there are a few that won't work... you will just have to try....

haroldkarl
    Thank you very much for your help guys. I am in total agreement that its not a particularily sensible thing to do.
    Tomorrow I will get hold of the sparc5 and try what you have suggested. I may well be back on the forum later asking why things dont build!!!
    Thanks again

Phil
    you mean an Ultra 5, not a sparc 5.... big difference...

software problems? not building... get thee to the software forums!

haroldkarl
    there's no problem using a IDE DVD-ROM drive or DVD-RW drive. I have an Ultra 5 with such a setup running Solaris 10. These machines run great with Sol10 as long as you add 1GB of RAM.

Solaris/Sun hardware had issues with SCSI based CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives.... something about the unique sector size that Sun uses vs everyone else. On the platforms that use IDE for the optical drives, you can pretty much use any common off the shelf CD/DVD-ROM/RW.
  • Unknown
    edited Jul 17, 2009 4:14PM
    ... the original post as well as the title of the topic stated they were running Solaris 2.6 on the system. The subsequent responses were based on them keeping Solaris 2.6 on the system.

Solaris 8 and newer had very few issues with DVD usability.
    Solaris 10 would require they invest in more RAM and larger drives, then invest in newer applications to replace what currently suits their needs. The inference I got from their post was that they had a spare optical drive and were trying to get along an inexpensively as possible.
This discussion has been closed.