Forum Stats

• 3,874,085 Users
  • 2,266,674 Discussions
  • 7,911,721 Comments

Discussions

Can't login to OVM Manager GUI: OVMAPI_6000E Internal Error: Connection re

Answers

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,824 Employee
    user3259832 wrote:
    Right! Got it. Oracle-XE which is installed by default not supported... Check!
    Yeah, we're making this a LOT more obvious in 3.0.3 -- the "Simple" install becomes "Unsupported" or something like that. I forget the exact term they're using, but it's made a lot more obvious that the default XE database should be used only for test/POC implementations.
  • It's the OVS account in the Oracle-XE database that's getting "locked (timed)". I unlocked the account, then stopped and restarted /etc/init.d/ovmm and tried logging in again. OVS was locked (timed) again...

Guess I'll start over tomorrow with a new db install.

SQL> select username, account_status from dba_users;

USERNAME ACCOUNT_STATUS
    ------------------------------ --------------------------------
    OVS OPEN
    ANONYMOUS OPEN
    SYSTEM OPEN
    SYS OPEN
    APEX_040000 LOCKED
    APEX_PUBLIC_USER LOCKED
    HR EXPIRED & LOCKED
    XDB EXPIRED & LOCKED
    CTXSYS EXPIRED & LOCKED
    MDSYS EXPIRED & LOCKED
    FLOWS_FILES EXPIRED & LOCKED

USERNAME ACCOUNT_STATUS
    XS$NULL EXPIRED & LOCKED
    OUTLN EXPIRED & LOCKED

13 rows selected.

SQL> select username, account_status from dba_users;

USERNAME ACCOUNT_STATUS
    ANONYMOUS OPEN
    SYSTEM OPEN
    SYS OPEN
    OVS LOCKED(TIMED)
    APEX_040000 LOCKED
    APEX_PUBLIC_USER LOCKED
    HR EXPIRED & LOCKED
    XDB EXPIRED & LOCKED
    CTXSYS EXPIRED & LOCKED
    MDSYS EXPIRED & LOCKED
    FLOWS_FILES EXPIRED & LOCKED

USERNAME ACCOUNT_STATUS
    XS$NULL EXPIRED & LOCKED
    OUTLN EXPIRED & LOCKED

13 rows selected.

SQL>
  • And for whatever it's worth, I didn't do a "simple" install, I selected "standard". Just didn't realize that you had to install a real Oracle db and not use XE before installing OVM Manager.
  • Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,824 Employee
    edited Nov 15, 2011 10:35PM
    user3259832 wrote:
    It's the OVS account in the Oracle-XE database that's getting "locked (timed)". I unlocked the account, then stopped and restarted /etc/init.d/ovmm and tried logging in again. OVS was locked (timed) again...
    Means that the OVMDS password for the OVS account is wrong. You should use the ovs_admin script in /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/bin to modify the OVMDS to match the right password:
    [[email protected] bin]# ./ovm_admin

Oracle VM Manager Release 3.0.3 Admin tool

Usage:  ./ovm_admin [options]

options
     --help                                            Shows this message
     --createuser <admin> <password>                   Create new Oracle VM Manager admin user
     --deleteuser <admin>                              Delete Oracle VM Manager admin user
     --listusers                                       List Oracle VM Manager users
     --modifyuser <admin> <password> <new_password>    Modify Oracle VM Manager user password
     --lockusers <tries>                               Max login tries before locking account.
                                                       This setting is global.
     --unlockuser <admin>                              Unlock user account
     --modifyds <SID> <host> <port> <schema> <password>Modify Data Store 'OVMDS'
     --listconfig                                      List configuration
     --rotatelogsdaily <time>                          Rotate Logs Daily (HH:MM)
     --rotatelogsbysize <size>                         Rotate Logs By Size (KB)
    The option you want to use is "--modifyds" and provide the sid (XE), host (local hostname), port (1521 probably), schema (OVS) and password (whatever the right password is).

I know my example says 3.0.3 but this tool exists and works in 3.0.2 as well. :)
  • user3259832
    user3259832 Member Posts: 31
    edited Nov 16, 2011 1:09AM
    Here's my ovm_admin session below... Looks like it threw an exception at the end, not sure if it was successful or not. Incidentally, to be clear, the issue has never been that I didn't know the admin password, it's just that at some point the login to the GUI stopped working. Second time this has happened. Not sure if it has to do with multiple concurrent sessions in Oracle VM Manager or some other way the data is being corrupted.

[[email protected] bin]# ./ovm_admin --listusers

Oracle VM Manager Release 3.0.2 Admin tool

Please enter the password for weblogic :

Initializing WebLogic Scripting Tool (WLST) ...

Welcome to WebLogic Server Administration Scripting Shell

Type help() for help on available commands

Connecting to WebLogic server ...
    Connecting to t3://localhost:7001 with userid weblogic ...
    Successfully connected to Admin Server 'AdminServer' that belongs to domain 'base_adf_domain'.

Warning: An insecure protocol was used to connect to the
    server. To ensure on-the-wire security, the SSL port or
    Admin port should be used instead.

Connected ...
    Listing Oracle VM users ...
    User : admin
    User : admin1
    Listed users successfully ...
    Disconnected from weblogic server: AdminServer
    Exiting...

Exiting WebLogic Scripting Tool.

[[email protected] bin]# ./ovm_admin --unlockuser admin

Successfully connected to Admin Server 'AdminServer' that belongs to domain 'base_adf_domain'.

Connected ...
    Location changed to serverRuntime tree. This is a read-only tree with ServerRuntimeMBean as the root.
    For more help, use help(serverRuntime)

Unlocked user 'admin' ...
    Exiting...

[[email protected] bin]# ./ovm_admin --modifyds XE ovmmanager 1521 OVS password-here

Connected ...
    Modifying Oracle VM Manager Data Store 'OVMDS'...
    Location changed to edit tree. This is a writable tree with
    DomainMBean as the root. To make changes you will need to start
    an edit session via startEdit().

For more help, use help(edit)

Starting an edit session ...
    Started edit session, please be sure to save and activate your
    changes once you are done.
    Saving all your changes ...
    Saved all your changes successfully.
    Activating all your changes, this may take a while ...
    The edit lock associated with this edit session is released
    once the activation is completed.

The following non-dynamic attribute(s) have been changed on MBeans
    that require server re-start:
    MBean Changed : com.bea:Name=OVMDS,Type=weblogic.j2ee.descriptor.wl.JDBCDriverParamsBean,Parent=[base_adf_domain]/JDBCSystemResources[OVMDS],Path=JDBCResource[OVMDS]/JDBCDriverParams
    Attributes changed : PasswordEncrypted, Url

MBean Changed : com.bea:Name=user,Type=weblogic.j2ee.descriptor.wl.JDBCPropertyBean,Parent=[base_adf_domain]/JDBCSystemResources[OVMDS],Path=JDBCResource[OVMDS]/JDBCDriverParams/Properties/Properties[user]
    Attributes changed : Value

This Exception occurred at Tue Nov 15 21:18:08 PST 2011.
    weblogic.application.ModuleException:
    at weblogic.jdbc.module.JDBCModule.prepare(JDBCModule.java:302)
    at weblogic.application.internal.flow.ModuleListenerInvoker.prepare(ModuleListenerInvoker.java:199)
    at weblogic.application.internal.flow.DeploymentCallbackFlow$1.next(DeploymentCallbackFlow.java:517)
    at weblogic.application.utils.StateMachineDriver.nextState(StateMachineDriver.java:52)
    at weblogic.application.internal.flow.DeploymentCallbackFlow.prepare(DeploymentCallbackFlow.java:159)
    at weblogic.application.internal.flow.DeploymentCallbackFlow.prepare(DeploymentCallbackFlow.java:45)
    at weblogic.application.internal.BaseDeployment$1.next(BaseDeployment.java:613)
    at weblogic.application.utils.StateMachineDriver.nextState(StateMachineDriver.java:52)
    at weblogic.application.internal.BaseDeployment.prepare(BaseDeployment.java:184)
    at weblogic.application.internal.SingleModuleDeployment.prepare(SingleModuleDeployment.java:43)
    at weblogic.application.internal.DeploymentStateChecker.prepare(DeploymentStateChecker.java:154)
    at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.AppContainerInvoker.prepare(AppContainerInvoker.java:60)
    at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.operations.RedeployOperation.createAndPrepareContainer(RedeployOperation.java:104)
    at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.operations.RedeployOperation.doPrepare(RedeployOperation.java:128)
    at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.operations.AbstractOperation.prepare(AbstractOperation.java:217)
    at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.DeploymentManager.handleDeploymentPrepare(DeploymentManager.java:747)
    at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.DeploymentManager.prepareDeploymentList(DeploymentManager.java:1216)
    at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.DeploymentManager.handlePrepare(DeploymentManager.java:218)
    at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.DeploymentServiceDispatcher.prepare(DeploymentServiceDispatcher.java:159)
    at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.doPrepareCallback(DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.java:171)
    at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.prepare(DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.java:41)
    at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.AwaitingContextUpdateCompletion.callDeploymentReceivers(AwaitingContextUpdateCompletion.java:164)
    at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.AwaitingContextUpdateCompletion.handleContextUpdateSuccess(AwaitingContextUpdateCompletion.java:66)
    at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.AwaitingContextUpdateCompletion.contextUpdated(AwaitingContextUpdateCompletion.java:32)
    at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.TargetDeploymentService.notifyContextUpdated(TargetDeploymentService.java:225)
    at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.DeploymentService$1.run(DeploymentService.java:189)
    at weblogic.work.SelfTuningWorkManagerImpl$WorkAdapterImpl.run(SelfTuningWorkManagerImpl.java:528)
    at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:209)
    at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:178)
    Caused by: weblogic.common.ResourceException: ORA-28000: the account is locked
    at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.XAConnectionEnvFactory.makeConnection(XAConnectionEnvFactory.java:494)
    at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.XAConnectionEnvFactory.createResource(XAConnectionEnvFactory.java:177)
    at weblogic.common.resourcepool.ResourcePoolImpl.makeResources(ResourcePoolImpl.java:1249)
    at weblogic.common.resourcepool.ResourcePoolImpl.makeResources(ResourcePoolImpl.java:1166)
    at weblogic.common.resourcepool.ResourcePoolImpl.start(ResourcePoolImpl.java:249)
    at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.ConnectionPool.doStart(ConnectionPool.java:1154)
    at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.ConnectionPool.start(ConnectionPool.java:154)
    at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.ConnectionPoolManager.createAndStartPool(ConnectionPoolManager.java:454)
    at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.ConnectionPoolManager.createAndStartPool(ConnectionPoolManager.java:372)
    at weblogic.jdbc.module.JDBCModule.prepare(JDBCModule.java:255)
    Failed to modify data store settings ...
    Exiting...

Restart of Oracle VM Manager is required for Data Store change to take effect ...
    ------------------

Not sure if I can test the login from the location I am at presently... Will update later if possible.

Thanks!

Ken

Edited by: user3259832 on Nov 15, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Avi Miller-Oracle
    edited Nov 16, 2011 12:42AM
    user3259832 wrote:
    [[email protected] bin]# ./ovm_admin --unlockuser admin
    Don't bother with this. The admin user isn't locked. The OVS database user is locked. So, you need to unlock the database user first (via sqlplus) and then use the ovm_admin --modifyds command to recreate the OVMDS data source.
    Caused by: weblogic.common.ResourceException: ORA-28000: the account is locked
    Failed to modify data store settings ...
    Indicates that this failed. You may also try via the WebLogic console at http://vmmanager:7001/console -- logging in as "weblogic" and the password provided for the weblogic user during the install. You can then modify the OVMDS in the Data Source section of the WebLogic Console.

The process should be:

1. Unlock the OVS database user in Oracle XE (via sqlplus or APEX)
    2. Recreate the OVMDS data source in WebLogic using the ovm_admin tool or WebLogic Console
    3. Restart Oracle VM Manager

The database user must be unlocked manually for this to work. Also, the only way this user will become locked is if there is a process that attempts to login with the wrong password over and over. So either someone changed the password on you, or there is another process trying to login as OVS with an old/incorrect password that's locking Oracle VM Manager out.
  • user3259832
    I haven't fixed the problem yet, but I think I figured out what is causing it. I had an old Oracle virtual server (version 2.2) that was probably trying to "phone home" to the OVM Manager. I used the same IP address and hostname for the new 3.0.2 Manager as I did for the old 2.2 Manager. Assuming ovs servers try to connect to the database, that's probably what's causing the incorrect logins (the passwords are different).

I'll try the fix in your previous reply in the morning... Thanks again for the help.
  • user3259832
    Well, that last theory about the version 2.2 server causing the OVS database account lockout is incorrect. I shutdown the server completely, unlocked the account manually and within a few minutes it was locked again. Now to figure out what's causing the OVS account locking...
  • user3259832
    edited Nov 16, 2011 2:01PM
    Well, upon further review...

The temporary workaround for me is to disable account lockout in oracle-xe. Yes, I know this is a bad idea but my VM Manager system sits behind 3 firewalls and is not yet production.

The bad logins to account OVS are coming from the VM Manager host itself. It also is where the oracle-xe database resides. The lockouts occur even when the ovmm is NOT running.

As a side note, this VM Manager used to be running version 2.2. I installed 3.0.1 and then 3.0.2 so I'm wondering if there was some old remnant of 2.2 or 3.0.1 that is still running somewhere on the system. Using the runInstaller.sh script, I uninstalled every component (Oracle-XE, WebLogic, and OVMM) and re-installed several times in order to get it to finally get a successful install. The runInstaller.sh script would allow me to use existing Oracle-XE database and existing WebLogic installation, but then it would complain at the end that WebLogic was already installed and force me to start over. Several iterations of uninstalling and reinstalling and a few "rm -rf /u01/app" before I could get a successful, error-free installation of 3.0.2. Just giving a bit of history in an effort to troubleshoot where the bad local login attempts might be coming from...

Here's what I did on the database to see where the bad logins were coming from. NOTE that my "dummy/dummy" login attempt was preceded and followed by continuous OVS bad logins from the localhost "ovmmanager":

SQL> alter system set audit_trail=DB scope=spfile;

System altered.

SQL> shutdown immediate
    Database closed.
    Database dismounted.
    ORACLE instance shut down.
    SQL> startup;
    ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 1068937216 bytes
    Fixed Size 2233344 bytes
    Variable Size 717229056 bytes
    Database Buffers 343932928 bytes
    Redo Buffers 5541888 bytes
    Database mounted.
    Database opened.
    SQL> audit session whenever not successful;

Audit succeeded.

SQL> connect dummy/dummy
    ERROR:
    ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
    SQL> connect sys as sysdba
    Enter password:
    Connected.
    SQL> select os_username,
    2 username,
    3 userhost,
    4 to_char(timestamp,'mm/dd/yyyy hh24:mi:ss') timestamp,
    5 returncode
    6 from dba_audit_session
    7 where action_name= 'LOGON'
    8 and returncode > 0
    order by timestamp ;
    OS_USERNAME
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    USERNAME
    ------------------------------
    USERHOST
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE
    ------------------- ----------

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:16:48 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:16:59 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:17:11 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:17:21 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:17:32 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:17:43 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:17:53 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:18:04 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:18:15 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:18:48 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:19:00 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:19:11 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:19:21 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:19:32 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:19:43 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:19:53 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:20:04 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:20:15 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE
    oracle
    DUMMY
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:20:22 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:20:49 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:21:00 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:21:11 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:21:21 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:21:32 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:21:43 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:21:53 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:22:04 1017

OS_USERNAME
    USERNAME
    USERHOST
    TIMESTAMP RETURNCODE

OVS
    ovmmanager
    11/16/2011 10:22:15 1017

28 rows selected.

SQL>

Edited by: user3259832 on Nov 16, 2011 10:37 AM

Edited by: user3259832 on Nov 16, 2011 10:54 AM
  • Avi Miller-Oracle
    user3259832 wrote:
    The bad logins to account OVS are coming from the VM Manager host itself. It also is where the oracle-xe database resides. The lockouts occur even when the ovmm is NOT running.
    Well, something is trying to login from that box. :) Keep in mind that Oracle VM Manager 2.2 was installed somewhere completely different to Oracle VM Manager 3.0. Can you not see anything running in a ps aux output that could be the culplrit?
This discussion has been closed.