Forum Stats

• 3,852,528 Users
  • 2,264,112 Discussions
  • 7,905,094 Comments

Discussions

Discoverer desktop installation on Windows 7 64 OS XP Mode TNS error

960758 Member Posts: 2
edited Oct 7, 2012 6:12PM in Discoverer
I have installed discoverer administrator and desktop in XP Mode on a Windows 7 64 OS. I downloaded the install from Oracle Discoverer 11g Fusion Middleware. I am using XP mode because I believe there is no download for the 64 bit OS in the Windows environment. I have had no trouble with the installation. The trouble comes when trying to connect to a database. I get a TNS error.

I have edited the environmental variable to include tns names. I am able to connect to a database on the network via sql developer but not with discoverer.

One needs to run the xp application within the Windows 7 environment. I have included the environmental variable in both environments (xp virtual and Windows 7) and am 0% successful with discoverer and 100% successful with sql in seeing the database.

Any technical advice?

Answers

• Srini Chavali-Oracle
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Member Posts: 29,596 Employee
    Pl post the complete error code and error message

HTH
    Srini
    960758 Member Posts: 2
    Error:

Failed to connect to database- ORA 12154 TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified.
    965984 Member Posts: 3
    I am indebted to Praveen Deshpande for this :
    You need to create a Windows environment variable TNS_ADMIN that points to the directory where the correct Tnsnames.ora file is held.
    On my system, I went to 'Computer - System Properties - Advanced - Environment Variables", created an environment variable TNS_ADMIN and set its value to C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\ADMIN
    Check where your server or other tnsnames file is stored and set the corresponding value.
    Then it all worked perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.