On January 27th, this site will be read-only as we migrate to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,672 Users
  • 2,269,776 Discussions
  • 7,916,820 Comments

Discussions

Discoverer desktop installation on Windows 7 64 OS XP Mode TNS error

960758 Member Posts: 2
edited Oct 7, 2012 6:12PM in Discoverer
I have installed discoverer administrator and desktop in XP Mode on a Windows 7 64 OS. I downloaded the install from Oracle Discoverer 11g Fusion Middleware. I am using XP mode because I believe there is no download for the 64 bit OS in the Windows environment. I have had no trouble with the installation. The trouble comes when trying to connect to a database. I get a TNS error.

I have edited the environmental variable to include tns names. I am able to connect to a database on the network via sql developer but not with discoverer.

One needs to run the xp application within the Windows 7 environment. I have included the environmental variable in both environments (xp virtual and Windows 7) and am 0% successful with discoverer and 100% successful with sql in seeing the database.

Any technical advice?

Answers

• Srini Chavali-Oracle
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Member Posts: 29,596 Employee
    Pl post the complete error code and error message

HTH
    Srini
    960758 Member Posts: 2
    Error:

Failed to connect to database- ORA 12154 TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified.
    965984 Member Posts: 3
    I am indebted to Praveen Deshpande for this :
    You need to create a Windows environment variable TNS_ADMIN that points to the directory where the correct Tnsnames.ora file is held.
    On my system, I went to 'Computer - System Properties - Advanced - Environment Variables", created an environment variable TNS_ADMIN and set its value to C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\ADMIN
    Check where your server or other tnsnames file is stored and set the corresponding value.
    Then it all worked perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.