• 3,852,528 Users
  • 2,264,112 Discussions
  • 7,905,094 Comments

Discussions

workbook cannot be expanded

969791 Member Posts: 2
edited Oct 22, 2012 6:45PM in Discoverer
Hi all,

I have a number of Oracle Discoverer workbooks which have become inaccessible to most users. These workbooks are now only accessible to users with Discoverer administration access.

When regular users attempt to open the workbooks, they receive the error message:

This workbook cannot be expanded.
Unable to open workbook

A Metalink note suggests disabling fan-trap detection and disabling multiple join path detection. Upon making these changes, a different error is displayed:

Item "Folder.itemname" used by the workbook is missing. Would you like to continue?
After hitting OK multiple times and the errors have cycled through each item name in the report, I get to another ambiguous error:

Item dependency "" not found in the EUL. Attempt to open workbook failed.

I have also attempted to access them under a brand new user accounts as well as save the report under a new account/ re-share it with no success.

I am using the following versions:

* OracleBI Discoverer 10g (10.1.2.3) Oracle Business Intelligence
* Discoverer Plus 10g (10.1.2.55.26)
* End User Layer - 5.1.1.0.0.0
* Oracle Database 11g 11.1.0.7.0

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edited by: 966788 on 21-Oct-2012 15:40
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Rod West
    Rod West Member Posts: 4,025 Gold Trophy
    Hi,

If the workbook requires disabling fan-trap detection then you will need to disable this for your users.

The item used by workbook missing error could be because this user does not have access to all the folders used by the workbook. Check which business areas the user can access and ensure that the user can access the folder mentioned in the missing item message. If the essential items are missing then workbook will not open and you get the item dependency not found error.

Rod West

Answers

• Rod West
    Rod West Member Posts: 4,025 Gold Trophy
    Hi,

If the workbook requires disabling fan-trap detection then you will need to disable this for your users.

The item used by workbook missing error could be because this user does not have access to all the folders used by the workbook. Check which business areas the user can access and ensure that the user can access the folder mentioned in the missing item message. If the essential items are missing then workbook will not open and you get the item dependency not found error.

Rod West
    969791 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Rod,

We realised that our application had revoked some roles from the users. Re-granting the roles to users fixed the errors.
This discussion has been closed.