This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,915 Users
  • 2,269,775 Discussions
  • 7,916,823 Comments

Discussions

Restore database to a different directory on the same host

1055464 Member Posts: 1
edited Nov 20, 2013 1:26AM in Recovery Manager (RMAN)

Hi.

I have a database (name appdev) of size 200G. we are using ASM. (+DATA/appdev)

i want to restore the database as app2dev on the same diskgroup to a different directory.(+DATA/APP2DEV)

I am planning to do this:

I want to use backup and restore(not duplicate). while restoring i will stop appdev database and restore appdev database to new directory. after restore i will use nid to change the db name.

can i use logfile_name_convert and db_file_name_convert to specify restore to a different directory? if not, can anybody please point me to the right direction?

I appreciate everybody's time.

Answers

• Asif Muhammad
    Asif Muhammad Oracle Apps DBA Member Posts: 2,092

Hi,

Do the following:

- Set DB ID using RMAN for the new instance

- Take a backup of the Source database

- Create the spfile and password file for the new instance

- Start the DB nomount stage

- Catalog the controlfile

- Restore the Controlfile

- Catalog the all the required backup sets

- Mount the DB

- Restore DB

- Recover DB

- Set new DBID and newname as per requirement.

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• Hemant K Chitale
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle DBA OCP OCE SingaporeMember Posts: 15,759 Blue Diamond

Ensure that you set DB_UNIQUE_NAME to APPDEV before the RMAN RESTORE.

Hemant K Chitale

• Hemant K Chitale
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle DBA OCP OCE SingaporeMember Posts: 15,759 Blue Diamond

See Oracle Support Note  "How to use rman to restore the Database to a different directory in ASM? (Doc ID 1467481.1)"

Hemant K Chitale

• Yes. For OMF, the path entirely depends on the db_unique_name of the database. Just a tip

Read below:

Administering Oracle ASM Files, Directories, and Templates

Every file created in Oracle ASM is provided a filename generated by Oracle Managed Files, known as a fully qualified filename (or system-generated filename).

Fully qualified filename

You can use a fully qualified form for referencing existing Oracle ASM files in Oracle ASM operations, except for disk group creation. This form is the Oracle ASM file name that Oracle ASM automatically generates when an Oracle ASM file is created.

A fully qualified file name has the following form:

<span class="codeinlineitalic">+diskgroup/dbname/filetype/filetypetag.file.incarnation</span>

Where:

• <span class="codeinlineitalic">+diskgroup</span> is the disk group name preceded by a plus sign. You can think of the plus sign (+) as the root directory of the Oracle ASM file system, similar to the slash (/) on UNIX or Linux computers.
    • <span class="codeinlineitalic">dbname</span> is the DB_UNIQUE_NAME of the database to which the file belongs.
    • <span class="codeinlineitalic">filetype</span> is the Oracle file type and can be one of the file types shown in Table 7-3.
    • <span class="codeinlineitalic">filetypetag</span> is type-specific information about the file and can be one of the tags shown in Table 7-3.
    • <span class="codeinlineitalic">file.incarnation</span> is the file/incarnation pair, used to ensure uniqueness.

Abhishek

• Mahir M. Quluzade
    Mahir M. Quluzade Oracle DBA/Developer AzerbaijanMember Posts: 2,377 Silver Trophy

Hi,

What is your database version?

If you  database version >=11, then you can use RMAN DUPLICATE command FROM ACTIVE database,

Regards

Mahir M. Quluzade

This discussion has been closed.