• 3,851,478 Users
  • 2,263,984 Discussions
  • 7,904,730 Comments

Discussions

Content Migration

3000173 Member Posts: 21
edited Sep 23, 2015 2:36PM in WebCenter Content

Hello,

I would like to know what's the best alternative to migrate documents/metadata to WebCenter Content. I've read about the Batch Loader, FrameworkFolders component and Desktop Integration, RIDC and aditional software like Kapow or Proventeq. I would also like to know if the frameworkFolders component is a good option to import 10TB?

Thanks

Answers

• Jonathan Hult
    Jonathan Hult Member Posts: 1,323 Silver Trophy
    edited Sep 1, 2015 7:05PM

Migrate from where?

In the end, the best may be what technology you are most familiar with.

The fastest to actually do the checkin (not necessarily code) is probably Batch Loader/RIDC.

Loading through the web UI or Desktop Integration suite (FrameworkFolders) is probably going to bog down quite a bit for that amount of content.

Jonathan

https://jonathanhult.com

edited Sep 2, 2015 8:56AM

Thanks for your help, we're migrating from Documentum.

• Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
    Jiri.Machotka-Oracle Member Posts: 5,078
    edited Sep 2, 2015 9:49AM

Few years ago there was a campaign together with Kapow - Moveoff Documentum - see https://blogs.oracle.com/webcenter/entry/moveoff_documentum_gains_momentum

I assume the question (esp. with regards to the volume of migrated documents) is not only about what technology should be used to import data into WebCenter Content - you will need at least two other more steps:

1) how to get documents/metadata from Documentum

2) how to link metadata (and other 'extras') between the two systems. AFAIK, Documentum has a very elaborate system of document types that might not be so easily translated into WCC's metadata

Furthermore, migrating 10TB will always take some time, so knowing benchmarks (how fast you can migrate), best practices, etc. might be another value you get from a partner. Of course, you should also consider pricing level - depending on your requirements, this can easily be several hundreds K's project, so your decision what product/partner to use can be related to your budget.

If you are considering to use a 3rd party partner, you may get an estimated price and then decide which way to go.

edited Sep 23, 2015 2:27PM

Hello, we're currently using the Batch Loader, but it's very slow and we don't want to work with a third party product.

Can you tell me how fast the migration should be for 10TB of content? Other experiences?

I would appreciate if you have any suggestions for the content migration.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.