• 2,252,713 Discussions
  • 7,874,327 Comments

Discussions

ODI (Data Integrator) Licensing

user13405592
user13405592 Member Posts: 27
edited Jan 29, 2016 4:02AM in Data Integrator

Hi,

I have deployed ODIEE on 4 servers. The data is extracted from flat files and some Oracle Databases onto these servers, loaded onto a Teradata database and transformed on it.

How do I go about the licensing ODIEE? Should I licenses the processors of the 4 source servers, or should I license the processors of the Teradata server?

Would the license calculation be different when I use ETL and E-LT methodology?

Thanks,
T

Tagged:
Aramast Oghiguian

Answers

• SH_INT
    SH_INT Member Posts: 3,188 Bronze Crown
    edited Jan 28, 2016 10:16AM

From what I remember licensing is driven by the number of processors on the staging server i.e. the server where the transformation occurs. In an E-LT archticture this is usually the target server (in your case teradata) as this will be the quickest way of loading and transforming the data. However, sometimes when other factors such as cost are an issue, the staging may be moved to a seperate server, with fewer processors and therefore a lower licensing overhead, thus resulting in an ETL architecture within the ODI process flow.

However to be sure you are best checking the Oracle global proce list or talking to your Oracle sales rep, they know about licensing.

Aramast Oghiguian
  • Aramast Oghiguian
    Aramast Oghiguian Database and Data Warehousing Expert | OCIx3 Member Posts: 497 Bronze Trophy
    edited Jan 28, 2016 10:28AM

Hi,

I agree and can confirm from the Oracle Price List what SH outlined:

For the purposes of the following programs: Data Integrator Enterprise Edition, Data Integrator Enterprise Edition for Oracle Applications, Data Integrator for Oracle Business Intelligence, and Application Adapters for Data Integration, only the processor(s) where the data transformation processes are executed must be counted for the purposes of determining the number of licenses required

Please see the following pdf file, and additionally search "Data Integrator" inside it (without quotes) to know more:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/technology-price-list-070617.pdf

So in other words, whether it is E-LT or ETL, you need only to pay for the T server.

• user13405592
    user13405592 Member Posts: 27
    edited Jan 29, 2016 4:02AM

The one I read online doesn't talk about the Transformation server, but about the server on which the target DB resides.

For the purposes of the following programs: Data Integrator Enterprise Edition, Data Integrator and Application Adapter for Data Integration, Informatica PowerCenter and PowerConnect Adapters, Application Adapter for Data Integration and Application Adapter for Warehouse Builder for: PeopleSoft, Oracle E-Business Suite, Siebel and SAP, only the processor(s) on which the target database is running are counted for the purpose of determining the number of licenses required.

http://www.oracle.com/ocom/groups/public/@opnpublic/documents/webcontent/027090.pdf

Page 2, Para 4

What do you think?

This discussion has been closed.