Forum Stats

• 3,851,558 Users
  • 2,263,999 Discussions
  • 7,904,779 Comments

Discussions

RMAN Duplicate + Incremental Backups + Upgrade to 12C

dbacore
dbacore Member Posts: 26
edited Feb 4, 2016 8:43PM in Recovery Manager (RMAN)

Hi,

Im thinking about best way of migrationg and upgrading database from 11.2.0.4 to 12C with reasonable downtime.

reasonable downtime : 30 Minutes

Source : Solaris (Intel)

DB size : 800G

Target : Linux

12c

new DB Name.

Im thinking about using RMAN Duplicate with noopen option ( RMAN Catalog is in use )  . The duplicate will take for sure longer than 30 minutes so just thinking if I can combine duplicate with recovering from  archivelogs generated during duplication to minimize the downtime. But is it possible when I'm changing also DB_NAME ?

thanks.

Best Answer

• Oratig-Oracle
    Oratig-Oracle Member Posts: 1,433 Silver Trophy
    edited Feb 4, 2016 8:25PM Answer ✓

Hi,

I guess, you may need to check once this document. 412484.1

I am really not sure about your source system and target

if your source comes under "Platform_id" 20, then you can achieve all your requirement within 30 min or less. If not it is difficult.

if your platform_id is 20, then you can create physical standby for your 11.2.0.4 and recover the same, once database is recovered , you can convert this to logical standby (note: your database has to be validated for logical standby), if you convert your database to logical standby then you can change your database name to new name, you also can upgarde to 12c.

After upgrade, you can still recover all changes from your primary. once logical standby is sync with primary then, you can perform switchover.

If your platform_id is not 20, then

you may consider using golden gate....

Thanks

Answers

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,830 Black Diamond
    edited Feb 4, 2016 10:49AM

If I understand you correctly, you plan to duplicate the database and manually apply remaining archive logs. As far as I know this is not possible. The reason is not because of the DB_NAME, which can be the same if target and duplicate use a different Oracle homes, or because of a different DBID of the duplicate database, that you can change to match the original database. The problem is that you cannot recover a database using RMAN after the database files have already been recovered, which is part of the duplicate process.

You could probably use RMAN duplicate to create a standby database and continue from there, but there are also other upgrade and migration options available you might want to review. I suggest you read the following::

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/upgrade/upgrading-oracle-database-wp-12c-1896123.pdf

• Oratig-Oracle
    edited Feb 4, 2016 8:25PM Answer ✓

Hi,

I guess, you may need to check once this document. 412484.1

I am really not sure about your source system and target

if your source comes under "Platform_id" 20, then you can achieve all your requirement within 30 min or less. If not it is difficult.

if your platform_id is 20, then you can create physical standby for your 11.2.0.4 and recover the same, once database is recovered , you can convert this to logical standby (note: your database has to be validated for logical standby), if you convert your database to logical standby then you can change your database name to new name, you also can upgarde to 12c.

After upgrade, you can still recover all changes from your primary. once logical standby is sync with primary then, you can perform switchover.

If your platform_id is not 20, then

you may consider using golden gate....

Thanks

• Oratig-Oracle
    edited Feb 4, 2016 8:33PM

Forgot to mention.....

In 12C, you may have to go to CDB structure , NON-CDB is not recommended and deprecated ....

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/UPGRD/deprecated.htm#UPGRD60004

https://blogs.oracle.com/UPGRADE/entry/non_cdb_architecture_of_oracle

• Hemant K Chitale
    Hemant K Chitale Member Posts: 15,759 Blue Diamond
    edited Feb 4, 2016 8:43PM

NOOPEN is not available in 11.2

You could DUPLICATE FOR STANDBY  or simply BACKUP-RESTORE and apply archivelogs.

Then, also, you are doing a cross-platform configuration.  See Oracle Support Document 413484.1

Remember to install 11.2.0.4 (and any corresponding patches as on the Solaris server) before you setup the copy/standby  (you don't have to actually do a full dataguard implementation, you can script the archivelog apply if you wish).

Your downtime would be the actually upgrade from 11.2.0.4 to 12c  (12.1.0.2 I presume ?)

If you want a MultiTenant environment you have to create a separate CDB and plug in the upgraded database to the CDB.  You need the MultiTenant Option licence to create any more PDBs.

Hemant K Chitale

dbacore
This discussion has been closed.