• 3,853,532 Users
  • 2,264,231 Discussions
  • 7,905,384 Comments

Discussions

Discoverer 10g to 11g

2997093 Member Posts: 24
edited Apr 25, 2016 5:54PM in Discoverer

Hello,

could someone help me in understanding the complexity in upgrading Oracle Discoverer 10g to 11g?

- Is there any additional license required for this upgrade?

- Do we need to install additional products as part of this upgrade?

- Is there a big change on the architecture from 10g to 11g that calls this upgrade a complex one?

Also can we migrate from 10g directly to OBI Foundation suite?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Michael Armstrong-Smith
    Michael Armstrong-Smith Member Posts: 4,403
    edited Apr 15, 2016 11:47AM Answer ✓

Hello

Even though Discoverer is almost out of support, June 2017, I still see a benefit to upgrading to 11g rather than stay on 10g, particularly if you are using E-Business Suite. Discoverer 11g is built using a much improved engine running on WebLogic than the older technology that was used by Discoverer 10g. Of course I'm assuming you're using Plus and Viewer and not just Desktop?

As for the EUL, the one used by Discoverer 11g is exactly the same as the one that was used by Discoverer 10g, therefore there is no need to do either an EUL upgrade or a Workbook upgrade. All you need to do is install the new middle tier, point your browser at this and away you go. The install should take less than a day with a competent administrator and please follow the steps carefully. Like many tools there is fair bit to read pre-installation and I would definitely recommend spending a day getting used to the terminology and the steps.

In my experience, Discoverer 11g Plus is quicker than Discoverer 10g Plus at through putting the data requests but pales somewhat when compared with Desktop which still outperforms Plus even today.

Best wishes

Michael

Answers

• Raju1225
    Raju1225 Member Posts: 138
    edited Apr 15, 2016 11:27AM

Upgrading discoverer 10g to 11g is easy process but why are you upgrading?

I see some browser issues after upgrading to open discoverer plus window because latest IE version need to install java to open applet. Discoverer admin is fine after upgrade but discoverer plus only I see few users not able open applet.

Also currently discoverer is de-supported then why are you upgrading? Are you migrating to OBIEE or you just want to upgrade the current version.

Thanks,

Prasad

• Michael Armstrong-Smith
    Michael Armstrong-Smith Member Posts: 4,403
    edited Apr 15, 2016 11:47AM Answer ✓

Hello

Even though Discoverer is almost out of support, June 2017, I still see a benefit to upgrading to 11g rather than stay on 10g, particularly if you are using E-Business Suite. Discoverer 11g is built using a much improved engine running on WebLogic than the older technology that was used by Discoverer 10g. Of course I'm assuming you're using Plus and Viewer and not just Desktop?

As for the EUL, the one used by Discoverer 11g is exactly the same as the one that was used by Discoverer 10g, therefore there is no need to do either an EUL upgrade or a Workbook upgrade. All you need to do is install the new middle tier, point your browser at this and away you go. The install should take less than a day with a competent administrator and please follow the steps carefully. Like many tools there is fair bit to read pre-installation and I would definitely recommend spending a day getting used to the terminology and the steps.

In my experience, Discoverer 11g Plus is quicker than Discoverer 10g Plus at through putting the data requests but pales somewhat when compared with Desktop which still outperforms Plus even today.

Best wishes

Michael

• f288a71a-2d93-41e5-8c7a-9afee0383615
    edited Apr 25, 2016 5:54PM

Why do you want to upgrade it?

This discussion has been closed.