• 3,855,036 Users
  • 2,264,452 Discussions
  • 7,905,869 Comments

Discussions

Oracle VM Migration and Cloning without Shared Storage

cb_jpowell
cb_jpowell Member Posts: 2
edited Feb 26, 2016 3:44PM in Oracle VM Server for x86

I am having trouble finding the information I need for oracle VM Server. Most of my hypervisor experience so far is with VMware and Hyper-V. We are looking to use Oracle VM Server for virtualization of our Oracle Systems due to licensing constraints that Oracle puts on with other hypervisors. My biggest problem is we don't have shared storage yet. I need to be able to migrate VMs from one OVM Server to another. It appears that shared storage is a requirement for this to happen. In Hyper-V and VMWare you have the ability to do shared nothing migrations. Am I missing something?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• budachst
    budachst Member Posts: 1,832
    edited Feb 26, 2016 1:23PM Answer ✓

Hi,

no, you're actually not missing something. OVM doesn't support migration between repos, should these repos not be shared. And don't ask, when it will…

Cheers,

budy

• cb_jpowell
    cb_jpowell Member Posts: 2
    edited Feb 26, 2016 1:32PM

Thanks for the response budachst. Has anybody found any alternate methods to get to the desired end result?

• budachst
    budachst Member Posts: 1,832
    edited Feb 26, 2016 3:44PM

Well, actually nothing except some manual copying. However, you would not be able to live migrate such a guest, since the OVM vdisk format doesn't allow for incremental transfers, or snapshots, which I believe VMFS does. Plus, there's this issue, with the OVMM database, in which each named object can only exist once. That means, that you can't have e.g. vdiska in one repo and a vdisk with the same name in another repo, since OVMM expects all vdisk names to be unique, so if you transfer one vdisk from one server to another you will have to either remove the original vdisk from the server/repo before refreshing the target repo. The same goes for the guest folder with its vm.cfg file, which holds the actual vm config.

So, to conclude this… this  basically between impractical and impossible, viewed from a stability perspective. You'd be much better of, to use NFS as a shared storage. It's easy to setup and you will gain OVMM's own methods to migrate and clone your guests. Also, if you intend to run any Oracle stuff on that, you will likely want some HA capabilities, which will require shared storage anyway.

Cheers,

budy

This discussion has been closed.