• 3,757,477 Users
  • 2,251,234 Discussions
  • 7,869,838 Comments

Discussions

HFM entity re-grouping

2620287 Member Posts: 10
edited Mar 10, 2016 5:23AM in Financial Consolidation

Hi All,

I have been asked to re group an entity in HFM, i.e. moving it to another hierarchy under a different parent.

Could you please help me with how this can be achieved with minimum effect on the existing data?what are the various options available and things to keep in mind?  

Is there in risk in it?

we are using 11.1.2.4.5x version

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• USER1211
    USER1211 Member Posts: 3,104
    edited Mar 4, 2016 10:29AM

Will firstly it is good practice to perform his operation on your lower environment (DEV or TEST) first and have your user test and validate its impact, before doing the changes it your production environment.

You did not state if your application is EPMA or classic. If it is EPMA you could do this right in the dimension library and deploy the application. If your application is classic you would have to export the app metadata file, update and reload into your application.

One you have made the change you would have to run your consolidations to make sure everything consolidates fine.

There is no risk in moving an entity from a technical standpoint per se. Clearly the data at certain parents would change since its children makeup has changed.

With that said of course only you know your application and whether you have any special rules or anything in your application which could affect how your data calculates and rolls up. So the onus remain on you to check the HFM rules, the structures (is it moving under a parent with a different currency), journals etc. Helps too to talk to your core users about any impact on reports, journal,security etc.

Hopefully the information was helpful to you and let us know how you make out.

• Thanos A
    Thanos A Consolidation System Manager Member Posts: 1,413 Silver Trophy
    edited Mar 7, 2016 7:58AM

Hi there,

I believe that there are two main points that you need to be aware.

• First, make sure that there are not any parent currency adjustment journals.
    • Second, build and test the change in the test environment and make sure that the users have approved it.

Cheers,

Thanos

• carmonte
    carmonte Member Posts: 89 Blue Ribbon
    edited Mar 7, 2016 10:28AM

Hi,

if you do not want to change historical data you could add a duplicate entity to the new hierarchy and play around with the ownership settings in both hierarchies (percentage ownership, active/inactive etc.)

Am not sure though if automatic IC eliminations in old hierarchy for coming periods will not be executed nonetheless (no matter if entity is active or not). Have to test it myself.

Cheers,

Carmonte

2620287 Member Posts: 10
    edited Mar 10, 2016 5:23AM

I am working on it. Made a duplicate entity in the target hierarchy but it is giving issues with data (bcz of our consolidation rules). Will let you guys know as soon as it is tested successfully.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.