• 2,254,585 Discussions
  • 7,879,903 Comments

Discussions

Oracle 12c or 13c Cloud Control

nonsens
nonsens Member Posts: 98
edited Oct 5, 2016 11:59AM in Enterprise Manager

Hi all,

I want to install and configure cloud control oem.

Please help if you use any of them. Which one are you recommending and why 12c or 13c cloud control?

Tagged:
nonsens2731539NS387362EliazAnsari-Oracle

Best Answer

• BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond
    edited May 25, 2016 12:17AM Accepted Answer

I would only consider EM13c Cloud Control. It is the latest/greatest. If you install EM12c, you'll have to upgrade to 13c in the future. So why not start with the most recent version.

Also, EM13c has some new features. For me, EM13c is faster than EM12c was.

Cheers,
    Brian

nonsensnonsens

Answers

• BPeaslandDBA
    edited May 25, 2016 12:17AM Accepted Answer

I would only consider EM13c Cloud Control. It is the latest/greatest. If you install EM12c, you'll have to upgrade to 13c in the future. So why not start with the most recent version.

Also, EM13c has some new features. For me, EM13c is faster than EM12c was.

Cheers,
    Brian

nonsensnonsens
  • handat
    handat Member Posts: 4,688 Gold Crown
    edited May 25, 2016 12:22AM

If you are running older OS and wanting to manage stuff that is older than go with 12c, but if you are running the latest OSs and want the latest and sort of greatest, then go with 13c.

nonsens
  • nonsens
    nonsens Member Posts: 98
    edited May 25, 2016 2:13AM

what you mean when say "older OS and wanting to manage stuff that is older " ?

• asifkabirdba
    asifkabirdba Member Posts: 3,358 Gold Trophy
    edited May 25, 2016 2:20AM

Older OS means old OS version which is not the latest release.  Stuff means may be multiple things like application , middleware and database version which is older.

If you have all the latest release like apps , middleware , OS then you can install 13C. New version also has bugs which hamper day to day operations. So , better to install 12C cloud control.

Regards

Asif Kabir

• n23oel
    n23oel Member Posts: 34
    edited May 25, 2016 2:59AM

there are a lot of enhancements on em13c.

• fine grained privileges for controlling access to specific features (app dba, infra dba, prod support dba, dev dba etc).
    • 'always on” monitoring
    • notification blackouts
    • lot of hardware management features are now built into EM13c
    • also much more benefits on the engineered systems side (exadata)

Here is the full list of features.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E63000_01/EMCON/whats_new.htm#EMCON132

nonsens2731539nonsens
  • BPeaslandDBA
    edited May 25, 2016 1:46PM
    New version also has bugs which hamper day to day operations. So , better to install 12C cloud control.

I would totally disagree. I have found fewer bugs with the initial release of 13c than I experienced with EM 12.1.0.5. Any version can have bugs. It is a myth today that the first major release is more buggy than the previous release with the latest patchset.  See more of my thoughts here: What’s a Major Version Anyway? » Peasland Database Blog   (Yes..that was written for the RDBMS software, but I find it equally applies to EM CC as well).

Cheers,

Brian

nonsensnonsens
  • DBAKevlar-Oracle
    DBAKevlar-Oracle Member Posts: 102
    edited May 25, 2016 4:09PM

Please know that Release 13.2 is going to be out soon, which has a number of enhancements that our group has been waiting for.  It's the version we've all been waiting for, in fact...

Thanks,

Kellyn

nonsens
  • handat
    edited May 25, 2016 8:07PM

I would say this would depend on which product you are using OEM to monitor and manage for.

I believe there are less bugs for the database side, but for the other middleware products, it has quite a lot of annoyances making it almost useless.

• DBAKevlar-Oracle
    DBAKevlar-Oracle Member Posts: 102
    edited May 25, 2016 8:15PM

What specific middleware products are you stating that are experiencing issues.  Do you have any SR's or bug numbers that I can point a PM to?  We just had a two hour session on enhancements in 13.2 for middleware and I have to say they've done a great job with the newest release that will be out [very] soon! 

Thank you,

Kellyn

• handat
    edited May 25, 2016 8:51PM

Hi Kellyn,

Thanks for taking an interest in this. I'll need to get back to you on that since someone else in my team is handling SRs.

This discussion has been closed.