• 2,266,692 Discussions
  • 7,911,777 Comments

Discussions

Scale OTD in JCS instance

Hysun He-Oracle
Hysun He-Oracle Member Posts: 32 Employee
edited Jul 27, 2016 4:34AM in Java Cloud Service

Hi Gurus,

Why only up to 2 OTD nodes can be configured in a JCS instance? Is there any way I can scale up the 2 OTD nodes, for example, scale up from OCPU 2 to 4, memory from 15G to ...

Thanks in advance for your help

Best Regards

Hysun

Answers

• Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
    Jiri.Machotka-Oracle Member Posts: 5,078
    edited Jul 8, 2016 6:04AM

2 OTD notes should be enough for nearly all HA scenarios (it's mainly to prevent a single point of failure).

If you need more compute power you may scale the power of each node - I could not find any specific documentation except http://docs.oracle.com/cloud/latest/jcs_gs/JSCUG/GUID-4D705FE3-4FB0-4EEE-B5C9-86F3A20C5869.htm#JSCUG3211 which links you back to the OTD Admin guide.

If you have requirements beyond the standard configuration, it might be better to have a dedicated environment tailored to your needs.

Hysun He-Oracle
  • Hysun He-Oracle
    Hysun He-Oracle Member Posts: 32 Employee
    edited Jul 27, 2016 12:52AM

Hi Jiri,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

While we say 2 OTD nodes is enough for HA scenario, but i still have some concerns regarding to its capacity.  From the JCS console we can scale up weblogic instances, but does not provide the way to scale up OTD nodes, is it possible that the origianlly configured OTD nodes cannot meet the scaled up weblogic instances?

Best Regards

- Hysun He

• Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
    Jiri.Machotka-Oracle Member Posts: 5,078
    edited Jul 27, 2016 4:34AM

If you have many hits on your web servers, it is possible that these can become bottlenecks. However, scaling up the application layer might have nothing to do with requirements on web servers - you might simply need more compute power to handle the increased application layer workload. Similarly, you might want to scale up the database layer, if your application starts to perform some 'costly' db transactions, which will have no impact on either app or web layer.

This discussion has been closed.