• 2,264,333 Discussions
  • 7,905,589 Comments

Discussions

Windows 10 and Discoverer 11g

Patrick Bacon
Patrick Bacon Member Posts: 154
edited Nov 24, 2016 8:27PM in Discoverer

Hi All,

My desktop services people are making plans to move our standard desktop operating system to Windows 10 in the next year or two.  Anyway, Michael wrote about incompatibilities associated with Windows 10 and Discoverer 11g.  Has anyone tried this and was successful? Were you able to get Viewer and Plus working?

Our present desktops installation have Windows 7 with Java 7.

From Steven Chan's blog, the following is needed to get EBS to work with Windows 10:

EBS 12.2

Browsers

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
  • Mozilla Firefox ESR 38
  • Chrome 44 and higher (HTML/OA Framework modules only)

Java client plug-ins

• JRE 1.8.0_51 and higher
  • JRE 1.7.0_85 and higher

I am not too concerned about the Disco Administrator (I have mine installed on dedicated, old server which still works and I can remote in).

Again, has anyone tried configuring Discoverer 11g with Windows 10 and was successful? Were you able to get Viewer and Plus working?

Thanks!

Patrick

mj2t-me

Answers

• t-me
    t-me Member Posts: 16
    edited Oct 10, 2016 6:39PM

We're on the process of testing Discoverer 11G (viewer, plus, desktop and admin) on Windows 10 and we're thinking of updating to the latest Java version.

I will keep you posted on our progress and share some pitfalls we encountered.

Regards,

Tim

mj2
  • mj2
    mj2 Member Posts: 38
    edited Oct 18, 2016 5:49PM

We just moved to Windows 10 with Desktop /Admin 10g.  Getting SmarHeap Library errors "SmartHeap error handler recursively re-entered", click ok then MEM_BAD_POINTER click Ok get same MEM_BAD_POINTER again, click OK  then error: "Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT.  click OK and Desktop User and Admin will open as normal.  Can not find what is causing these errors now. Current Java Version  Version 6 Update 43 (build 1.6.0_43-b01. Any help would be appreciated

• t-me
    edited Oct 18, 2016 5:57PM

I would have thought if you're going Windows 10 your Java version should be higher, see below.  This is one area you should implement based on Oracle suggestion.

JRE 1.8.0_51 and higher

JRE 1.7.0_85 and higher

https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/windows_10_ebs_certified

Regards,

Tim

• sbeck-Oracle
    sbeck-Oracle Member Posts: 116 Employee
    edited Nov 18, 2016 9:49AM

Discoverer Desktop and Administrator do not use Java.  They connect directly to the Database, not the Discoverer server. 

Discoverer Desktop and Administrator are not certified or supported on the Windows 10 Platform, see Note 233047.1 (How To Find Oracle BI Discoverer 10g and 11g Certification Information). 
    The Browser on Windows 10 is not certified or supported for use with Discoverer Plus or Viewer.  Since premier support for Discoverer ended in June 2014, there will be no new certifications.

t-me
  • t-me
    edited Nov 24, 2016 8:27PM

Thanks sbeck-Oracle.  Useful info.

I found these notes to be useful too

Recommended Set Up for Client/Server Products with Oracle E-Business Suite 11i and R12 (Doc ID 277535.1)

Regards,Tim

This discussion has been closed.