• 2,246,988 Discussions
  • 7,857,329 Comments

Discussions

Load text data via Open Interface, FDMEE

JanGLi
JanGLi Member Posts: 649 Bronze Badge
edited Oct 20, 2016 4:47AM in Financial Data Management

Hi,

I want to upload text data into hyperion planning via open interface table.

The issue is i can't populate open interface table column "amount" because it is of numeric data type.

How can i upload text via open interface table?

Any suggestions or workaround?

Regards

Answers

• Francisco Amores
    Francisco Amores Member Posts: 1,693 Bronze Crown
    edited Oct 19, 2016 4:21AM

Why can't you?

how are you populating the OIA table? Either in script or ODI you can convert source type to numeric

Cheers

• JanGLi
    edited Oct 19, 2016 4:58AM

Actually the values aren't numeric. e.g. i am trying to load employee_name column.

Can i use des1 or desc2 column?

I am populating OIA table using simple sql command at the moment.

Regards

• Francisco Amores
    Francisco Amores Member Posts: 1,693 Bronze Crown
    edited Oct 19, 2016 5:02AM

That's another question then.

Currently FDMEE does not support text values for Planning. It will probably in next PSU 210 (which should be out soon).

YOu can build your own solution and you can use DESC fields or any text to import text data, then you will have to manage the export in a custom way.

I would wait until PSU is released :-)

• JanGLi
    edited Oct 19, 2016 5:09AM

Thanks for clearing

Can you elaborate on how fdmee will fetch data from column other than "amount"?

regards

• ThinkFDM
    ThinkFDM Member Posts: 224 Silver Badge
    edited Oct 19, 2016 8:29AM

@JanGLi - What do you mean by "fetch data from column other than amount"?  Please provide more detail to your question.

• JanGLi
    edited Oct 19, 2016 10:58AM

As fransico said

"YOu can build your own solution and you can use DESC fields or any text to import text data, then you will have to manage the export in a custom way."

So i thought that maybe we could pull data from column DESC too...

Is that possible?

What would you guys suggest i should do to import text data into hyperion planning?

Is it possible using Open Interface Adapter?

Or
    Should i use an other approach?

Regards

• ThinkFDM
    ThinkFDM Member Posts: 224 Silver Badge
    edited Oct 19, 2016 12:02PM

The way I understand it, the issue you're having is you want to load text-based values to your Planning application. 

While Hyperion Planning supports loading text-based values, as @Francisco Amores indicated, on-premises FDMEE does not... yet.  It's coming.  (FDMEE Cloud for cloud applications like PBCS, already does.)

So, this isn't a limitation with the open interface adapter but a limitation with on-premises FDMEE.  The FDMEE Product Development team at Oracle has indicated that support for text-based data loads to Planning is coming in the next patch release.  (Safe Harbor applies.)

My guess is @Francisco Amores was simply saying, Hey, with FDMEE scripting you can do just about anything.  So, if you wanted to come up with some custom solution whereby you store the employee name in a description or lookup dimension field in FDMEE, you can find a way to load it to Planning on the Export step.

Good luck.

• Zhen527
    Zhen527 Member Posts: 6
    edited Oct 19, 2016 4:38PM

HI

My guess is you are loading HR data by using open interface adaptor. First of all, FDMEE doesn't support text data for amount field. Second, you could ask your planning folk and see if they can implement something called "smart list". If the answer is yes, you will get a mapping table which has all text value on one side and a numeric code on the other side. At last, all you need to do is to load those numeric code as amount to teh open interface table.

Hope it is helpful.

Thanks,

Zhen

• SH_INT
    SH_INT Member Posts: 3,187 Bronze Crown
    edited Oct 20, 2016 4:47AM

The main point here is that loading text as text is not supported full stop. All Planning data is loaded to Essbase which only stores numeric data. What happens is for 'text' based loads is these numbers are used, not as amount values, but as a key reference to a table in the Planning relational DB where the associated text is held, so when accessed via Planning etc you see the text. This is what the forthcoming finctionality will do manage the translation of text value inputs to the correct numeric identifier so it can be loaded into Essbase. You can do this yourself at the current time with a bit of FDMEE scripting to perform this lookup yourself against the appropriate tabes in the Planning DB so you can convert your text value data that is imported to numeric values for export to Essbase.

This discussion has been closed.