• 3,817,099 Users
  • 2,259,276 Discussions
  • 7,893,655 Comments

Discussions

Getting Portlet to Appear in Endeca Portal when Deployed as Separate EAR

3339308 Member Posts: 3
edited Nov 3, 2016 1:25PM in Endeca Information Discovery

Hello,

I've spent over 60 hours on this issue and hoping someone can help.

I have an EAR deployed on Weblogic with Endeca Studio inside. All of the portlets inside this EAR can be seen inside Endeca Studio.

I have another EAR on the same server with one portlet inside. I CANNOT see this portlet inside Endeca Studio.

How can I get it to register / be seen?

MUCH appreciated!

Preston

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Branchbird - Pat
    Branchbird - Pat Member Posts: 316 Bronze Badge
    edited Nov 1, 2016 10:37PM Answer ✓

It should be more straightforward.  Take your .ear file and unzip it recursively to some folder (I typically do it in place to keep it in the same place approximately as the ear).

Then, when you're deploying, instead of browsing to the ear, browse to the open directory:

Capture.PNG

Everything else would remain the same.  Now, if you have a custom war file that you've created that you want to have show up as a portlet, you can drop it in alongside the rest of the wars that ship with product (notice our custom ones beginning with eid#branchbird which is an artifact of the deployment and build process documented in the Studio Customization Guide):

war-list.PNG

Those WARS were built with the SDK so they have all of the right "guts" to show up in the Studio dropdown.  I'm not exactly sure what the "magic bullet" is in there (combination of the XML files would be my guess) but once your WARs are there and registered in the META-INF/application.xml file, you should be able to re-deploy and be good to go:

snipcap.png

Hope that helps!

Patrick Rafferty

Practice Director

Edgewater Ranzal

Answers

• JM-Oracle
    JM-Oracle Member Posts: 198
    edited Nov 1, 2016 2:45PM

Which version of the product are you using?

• Branchbird - Pat
    edited Nov 1, 2016 3:20PM

Hi Preston,

For deploying custom portlets, I typically package them in a WAR (done automatically for you via the SDK) and deploy them within the same Weblogic deployment as the Studio Ear file.

Now, that in itself is a pretty huge pain, so for the past year or so, we've always deployed the Studio Ear as a folder containing the extracted ear file.  That way you can just drop in your war, add it to the application.xml and everything works magically.

Can probably provide screenshots if that helps.  If for some reason this is an EAR that's not something you built using SDK (came from 3rd party or direct from LifeRay), this might not work.

Patrick Rafferty

Edgewater Ranzal

edited Nov 1, 2016 8:39PM

Thanks for your responses.

I'm using studio version 3.2.26800.

I can definitely deploy endeca as its own deployment. I stumbled across a resource online showing how to deploy an application as a 'library' on Weblogic. Is this what your referring to when you say "Studio ear as a folder"?

Resource(Section "Creating Shared Java EE Libraries")

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17904_01/web.1111/e13706/libraries.htm#WLPRG331

They describe modifying the shared resource's manifest file with an Extension-Name and adding a <library-ref> to the consuming application's weblogic-application.xml

Preston

• Branchbird - Pat
    edited Nov 1, 2016 10:37PM Answer ✓

It should be more straightforward.  Take your .ear file and unzip it recursively to some folder (I typically do it in place to keep it in the same place approximately as the ear).

Then, when you're deploying, instead of browsing to the ear, browse to the open directory:

Capture.PNG

Everything else would remain the same.  Now, if you have a custom war file that you've created that you want to have show up as a portlet, you can drop it in alongside the rest of the wars that ship with product (notice our custom ones beginning with eid#branchbird which is an artifact of the deployment and build process documented in the Studio Customization Guide):

war-list.PNG

Those WARS were built with the SDK so they have all of the right "guts" to show up in the Studio dropdown.  I'm not exactly sure what the "magic bullet" is in there (combination of the XML files would be my guess) but once your WARs are there and registered in the META-INF/application.xml file, you should be able to re-deploy and be good to go:

snipcap.png

Hope that helps!

Patrick Rafferty

Practice Director

Edgewater Ranzal

edited Nov 3, 2016 1:25PM

Thank you very much for the time you spent, very helpful!

This discussion has been closed.