• 3,827,909 Users
  • 2,260,838 Discussions
  • 7,897,404 Comments

Discussions

Essbase data Backup Size

JanGLi
JanGLi Member Posts: 650 Bronze Badge
edited Dec 16, 2016 5:53AM in Planning and Budgeting

Hi, I am taking back up of essbase data using shared service.

Hyperion Plannning version 11.1.2.4

My pag file size is 22.6 gb and my back up data size is 32.8 gb. If my knowledge i correct when we export essbase data using eas console it removes empty blocks which will result in smaller backup size.

I even tried taking backup using eas console. The backup size was smaller than the pag file size.

Does shared services use different approach in taking essbase data backup?

regards

Best Answer

• JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited Dec 16, 2016 3:39AM Answer ✓

So the issue is they are just a different size between EAS and LCM, you are not saying that there is missing data.

The reason is LCM and EAS are both exporting a full set of data, though LCM exports with the equivalent of "export in column format" selected, if you repeat the same in EAS you should see the same results.

This is most probably so that it would be possible to create a load rule and load the LCM data if there are any issues loading it or if you want to load subset of data or even to another system.

Answers

• JohnGoodwin
    edited Dec 16, 2016 3:18AM

in most cases a full export will be bigger because Essbase compresses the data blocks when it is stored in the pag files (compression is enabled by default)

LCM will run a full export to text files which in theory should be the same if you run a full export from EAS, if you run an export through EAS and HSS check the essbase log to see what is being executed.

Cheers

John

JanGLi
  • JanGLi
    edited Dec 16, 2016 3:05AM

This is the command i am getting when i export database using eas console

"Received Command [ParExport] from user [***@Native Directory]

This is command i am getting when i export database using HSS

"Received Command [Export] from user [***@Native Directory]"

i checked the esscmd commands but couldn't find that if there is any compression. But the results says otherwise.

Regards

• JohnGoodwin
    edited Dec 16, 2016 3:39AM Answer ✓

So the issue is they are just a different size between EAS and LCM, you are not saying that there is missing data.

The reason is LCM and EAS are both exporting a full set of data, though LCM exports with the equivalent of "export in column format" selected, if you repeat the same in EAS you should see the same results.

This is most probably so that it would be possible to create a load rule and load the LCM data if there are any issues loading it or if you want to load subset of data or even to another system.

• JanGLi
    edited Dec 16, 2016 5:53AM

Thanks for clearing

Regards

This discussion has been closed.