• 2,251,495 Discussions
  • 7,870,477 Comments

Discussions

FDM Period Mapping

Jun_Zhang
Jun_Zhang Member Posts: 57 Bronze Trophy
edited May 13, 2017 3:09AM in Planning and Budgeting

Hi Gurus,

I have a question about the Period mapping in FDM.

Here is the situation, this is the data file:

Jan     Feb     AvgJan     AvgFeb    

Account1        100     100      99               99

Account2        100     100      99               99

I would like to use FDM to load data to the different type of periods, like Jan and AvgJan.

1. One way for sure can work is, storing Avg data to another version or scenario, and then use the regular / default period mapping. (Jan-17, Feb-17, etc.)  No need to discuss this.

2. I am wondering that, if I want to load these data to different periods, and set the period hierarchy like:

- YearTotal

-Jan

-Feb

- AvgTotal

-AvgJan

-AvgFeb

How are we going to use FDM to load these different type of periods members? For example, in the global mapping set different period mappings, but in this case, since the Period Key cannot be duplicated, the period key should be set up a little bit different than the regular ones.

pastedImage_0.png

But the tricky part is if I set is as the above screenshot, then when I load the data file by using multi-column import format, you will see the start and end period will mess up.

pastedImage_1.png

So my question is, if I'd like to set the period hierarchy as, Jan,  AvgJan, ect. also, I'd like to use FDM to load this data file, what is the best way to achieve this? ( As I mentioned, storing the data to another version/scenario will definitely work.)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jun

Tagged:
Jun_Zhang

Best Answer

• USER1211
    USER1211 Member Posts: 3,104
    edited May 6, 2017 9:09AM Accepted Answer

As mentioned earlier you have to evaluate feasibility of seeking to put in place a process. Whatever route you choose you really need to do your due diligence and test . Of course you would also want to discuss with your core end user before you go design and entire process which they may find more complicated that you think.

Separate files relate to mapping as just by the files names themselves(or the period content within a file) Data Management can load to the proper period.

What you may want to look at is the admin guide for Multiple Period loads and batch loads:

Administering Data Management for Oracle Enterprise Performance Management Cloud - Contents

Unable To Load Multiple Files For Multiple Periods In FDMEE Data Load Rule (Doc ID 1571726.1)

At this point it is on you to go ahead and do your design/testing etc.

Other members of the board may certainly chime in also with added advice.

Hope all the information provided helps you and Good Luck let us know what put in place in the end.

Jun_ZhangJun_Zhang

Answers

• USER1211
    edited May 5, 2017 8:52PM

Is this cloud or on premise?( if on premise what is the exact version(including patch level))

Can you change the source file layout?

Can you change the amount of source files?(e.g can you get a file for each month using a specific name)?

Notably if you already have a fairly straightforward  manner to load the data into a separate scenario/version you have to ask yourself what are you truly  achieving by building what could be a more complicated and harder to maintain process.

You have to look to at cost benefit,maintenance,also factor in the overall end user experience.

• Jun_Zhang
    edited May 5, 2017 9:06PM

Thanks for the reply!

It is the cloud version (PBCS). But I don't think that matters.

You are correct, the cost benefit, maintenance should be considered. I totally agree with that, and that is also the reason I ask this tricky FDM question. Since the app has already went live. So adding new versions or scenarios might confuse the end users, but the Period members have already set up. So if there is a way to manage the period mapping from the admin point of view, that will be easier for the users. 

Thanks for your interest in this period mapping question.

Regards,

Jun

• USER1211
    edited May 5, 2017 11:21PM

On premise or cloud matters as with cloud there is no currently import or event scripting hence for folks to give any detailed recommendations they would need to know such information.

Can you change the source file layout?

Can you change the amount of source files?(e.g can you get a file for each month using a specific name)?

Jun_Zhang
  • Jun_Zhang
    edited May 6, 2017 12:17AM

Absolutely, I am able to change the source file layout and the amount of source files. But forgive my ignorance, how is that related  to the period mapping? Since if I will need to load data to different period members like, Jan and AvgJan. Just updating the file layout and amount of source files will overwrite the data to the default member like Jan-17.

Have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Jun

• USER1211
    edited May 6, 2017 9:09AM Accepted Answer

As mentioned earlier you have to evaluate feasibility of seeking to put in place a process. Whatever route you choose you really need to do your due diligence and test . Of course you would also want to discuss with your core end user before you go design and entire process which they may find more complicated that you think.

Separate files relate to mapping as just by the files names themselves(or the period content within a file) Data Management can load to the proper period.

What you may want to look at is the admin guide for Multiple Period loads and batch loads:

Administering Data Management for Oracle Enterprise Performance Management Cloud - Contents

Unable To Load Multiple Files For Multiple Periods In FDMEE Data Load Rule (Doc ID 1571726.1)

At this point it is on you to go ahead and do your design/testing etc.

Other members of the board may certainly chime in also with added advice.

Hope all the information provided helps you and Good Luck let us know what put in place in the end.

Jun_ZhangJun_Zhang
This discussion has been closed.