• 2,258,798 Discussions
  • 7,892,456 Comments

Discussions

Database Link from SAP

JanGLi
JanGLi Member Posts: 649 Bronze Badge
edited Jul 24, 2017 9:07AM in Financial Data Management

Hi,

When our source was EBS we used to create database link of EBS users in FDMEE user. Using that database link we can populate our open interface adapter table.

According to my knowledge we can't create a database link in SAP (base is oracle database) since no schema information is given to the client. Kindly correct me if i am wrong.

My question is.... how can we create database link in SAP?

Or what other workaround we have other than extracting csv files from SAP.

Kindly help us on urgent bases, we need to choose an approach on ASAP values.

Regards

USER1211

Best Answer

• Andris Perkons-Oracle
    Andris Perkons-Oracle Posts: 1,094 Employee
    edited Jul 24, 2017 8:49AM Answer ✓

Hi,

the statement "SAP doesn't allow to create any database link to it's Oracle database" is not entirely true. You must not access the database directly (except for system monitoring and similar tasks), if the database is licensed via SAP. In that case, you can access data only via the SAP application layer (e.g. RFC, ABAP, BAPI). If the database is licensed directly with Oracle, you are free to create database links.

Andris

Answers

• Francisco Amores
    Francisco Amores Member Posts: 1,694 Bronze Crown
    edited Jul 7, 2017 10:59AM

SAP adapter does not pull data through the database layer but from application layer.

I don't think your SAP basis will let you extract data from the SAP database unless he creates a View there and provide you with an user having read access only to that view. Then you can use the Universal Data Adapter (11.1.2.4)

Regards

USER1211JanGLi
  • JanGLi
    edited Jul 10, 2017 5:44AM

That is my goal, to extract data from view and populate my open interface table. My SAP team has already created the required view, but the issue is how to access them.

In EBS, i use to create database link of EBS View user (usually APPS) in my FDMEE user, and using that database link i could easily populate my open interface adapter table.

From this "I don't think your SAP basis.." you mean that the Basis team won't let me create a database link due to security reasons or SAP system won't allow me to create a database link.

Does SAP allows creating new user on database layer?

One more thing, you mentioned UDA? can't i use OIA? or it is up to me....

Regards

• SH_INT
    SH_INT Member Posts: 3,192 Bronze Crown
    edited Jul 10, 2017 5:51AM

You can use OIA instead of UDA but if all the data you require is in the view created by your SAP team then the configuration of the UDA to pull the data will be simpler and easier to maintain. 

JanGLi
  • JanGLi
    edited Jul 10, 2017 6:07AM

Thanks,

One more thing.... any idea under which database user my VIEW will be created if my VIEW is created from SAP Application.

My SAP version ECC 6.0 EHP 7
    Regards

• Francisco Amores
    Francisco Amores Member Posts: 1,694 Bronze Crown
    edited Jul 11, 2017 9:26AM

Are you sure they created a View or a Z-Custom table?

• JanGLi
    edited Jul 17, 2017 2:41AM

They told me that they created the view from SAP GUI without writing any query. So i guess they have created a VIEW not a Z-custom table.

Regards

• JanGLi
    edited Jul 24, 2017 8:32AM

After discussing this with SAP team. SAP doesn't allow to create any database link to it's Oracle database.

So we have to use the power of ODI.

Regards

• Andris Perkons-Oracle
    Andris Perkons-Oracle Posts: 1,094 Employee
    edited Jul 24, 2017 8:49AM Answer ✓

Hi,

the statement "SAP doesn't allow to create any database link to it's Oracle database" is not entirely true. You must not access the database directly (except for system monitoring and similar tasks), if the database is licensed via SAP. In that case, you can access data only via the SAP application layer (e.g. RFC, ABAP, BAPI). If the database is licensed directly with Oracle, you are free to create database links.

Andris

• JanGLi
    edited Jul 24, 2017 9:07AM

Thanks for clarification

Regards

This discussion has been closed.