Forum Stats

• 3,836,793 Users
  • 2,262,193 Discussions
  • 7,900,114 Comments

Discussions

OBI Administration Tool 12.2.1.2 online mode import metadata nQSError 17002

User_CDEV6
User_CDEV6 Member Posts: 5 Red Ribbon

I installed OBIEE 12.2.1.2 and migrated my catalog and the repository from 11.1.1.7 to the 12c.  Everything runs fine except when I was trying to import metadata to the RPD in online mode.

OBIEE Installation:  Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4

Database Version:    Oracle 12c for warehouse, Oracle 12c for infrastructure DB

OBIEE Administration Tool OS:         Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2

Administration Tools version: 12.2.1.2.0

Obiee version: Oracle Business Intelligence 12.2.1.2.0

I open the repository in online mode. Connection to physical schemas in Administration tool works. It is also possible to add tables manually and everything works fine.

In online mode tnsnames.ora located on linux server <span class="variable">BI_DOMAIN</span>/config/fmwconfig/bienv/core is used.

Oracle BI administration tool gives me the following error message during the import metadata:

---------------------------

Oracle BI Administration Tool

The connection has failed.

[nQSError: 17002] OCIEnvNlsCreate or OCIEnvInit failed to initialize environment. Please check your Oracle Client

installation and make sure the correct version of OCI libraries are in the library path.

I have the same error when i save the repository and open it in offline mode and try to import metadata.

Where should i check the Oracle Client, at administrator tool client machine (windows) or linux server?

What should i check?

On the windows machine i installed 12c oracle client.

Thanks

Wiadomość była edytowana przez: 3320848 Installing the administration tool on Windows 10 solved the problem with Import Metadata.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Gianni Ceresa
    Gianni Ceresa Managing Director | Oracle ACE Director Member Posts: 6,632 Blue Diamond
    edited Aug 25, 2017 7:21AM Answer ✓

Importing in online is the same exact business as importing in offline mode. Or you wouldn't have a check in button anymore if the work would be done by the server.

The only exception (in both online and offline mode) is when you are dealing with a special source requiring the server to make the job, and this happen only if your configured you admintool pointing to the right javahost (it's required for example for Planning sources).

So, making it short: did you try using the syntax not requiring any TNS resolution?

Also worth noting you installed the client on a not supported OS ...

Answers

• Christian Berg-0racle
    Christian Berg-0racle Everything Analytics And Data Member Posts: 9,646 Gold Crown
    edited Aug 24, 2017 8:46AM

Your local (Windows 200) Admin Tool must be able to connect to data sources using its host's (i.e. of the Windows machine) connectivity to the data sources. It is literally the tool connecting to the sources. It doesn't go and read the Linux server's tnsnames.ora. It's the Windows machine that must nbe able to connect to the sources and the Admin Tool must be able to use those connections.

• User_CDEV6
    edited Aug 24, 2017 9:24AM

According to this documentation:

https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12212/biee/BIEMG/GUID-88E782D7-FCFD-4FB8-8AD3-E8482BBEF152.htm#configuring_oracle_db_…

"

Troubleshooting OCI Connections

If you choose not to use the entire connect string in the repository connection pool, you must ensure that a valid tnsnames.ora file is set up in the following location within the Oracle Business Intelligence environment, so that the Oracle BI Server can locate the entry:

BI_DOMAIN/config/fmwconfig/bienv/core

"

I tested it and it works like that, connections to repository in ONLINE mode uses tnsnames.ora located on Oracle BI server (when i deleted TNS entry on BI server i couldn't connect to database from windows administration tool and when i added i could)

• Christian Berg-0racle
    Christian Berg-0racle Everything Analytics And Data Member Posts: 9,646 Gold Crown
    edited Aug 24, 2017 9:28AM

From your own original post: "I have the same error when i save the repository and open it in offline mode and try to import metadata."

Offline goes through the local host of the Admin Tool.

• User_CDEV6
    edited Aug 24, 2017 9:37AM

Yes you are right in the offline mode it uses local tnsnames.ora. But only import metadata gives error in online and offline mode so tnsnames is not the problem.

• Gianni Ceresa
    Gianni Ceresa Managing Director | Oracle ACE Director Member Posts: 6,632 Blue Diamond
    edited Aug 25, 2017 7:21AM Answer ✓

Importing in online is the same exact business as importing in offline mode. Or you wouldn't have a check in button anymore if the work would be done by the server.

The only exception (in both online and offline mode) is when you are dealing with a special source requiring the server to make the job, and this happen only if your configured you admintool pointing to the right javahost (it's required for example for Planning sources).

So, making it short: did you try using the syntax not requiring any TNS resolution?

Also worth noting you installed the client on a not supported OS ...

• User_CDEV6
    edited Aug 24, 2017 10:57AM

Yes, database connection works when i modify connection pool to use data source: server:port/sid

But import metadata still gives me the same error.

• Gianni Ceresa
    edited Aug 24, 2017 11:53AM
    3320848 wrote:Yes, database connection works when i modify connection pool to use data source: server:port/sid

How did you check that in the Admintool?

Because if it works on the server once the RPD used it's still the same thing: the server can access your DB while your client maybe can't.

• User_CDEV6
    edited Aug 25, 2017 7:02AM
    Gianni Ceresa napisał(-a):Also worth nothing you installed the client on a not supported OS ...

Thanks for the hint, I installed the administration tool on Windows 10 and import metadata is working out of the box.

• Gianni Ceresa
    edited Aug 25, 2017 7:23AM

I guess Windows Server is too strict (being a server) on the environment and things like that. While the client really is focused at a client OS (in the past it was easier as you needed an Oracle Client to import metadata from an Oracle DB, now it's all packaged inside the installer).

This discussion has been closed.