• 2,253,183 Discussions
  • 7,875,654 Comments

Discussions

Spreadsheet Operation vs MDXreport

JanGLi
JanGLi Member Posts: 649 Bronze Badge
edited Nov 2, 2017 8:21AM in Planning and Budgeting

Hi,

i am trying to optimize my data from by changing dense and sparse dimension combination by change the order of dimensions being used in rows.

for some combination i get to see spreadsheet operations in eas console sessions and for some combination i get to see MDXreport in eas console session.

just wanted to know whats the difference between them and why MDXreport runs instead of spreadsheet operation.

Regards

Best Answer

Answers

• JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited Aug 24, 2017 9:35AM Accepted Answer

It depends if you suppress missing blocks in the form, if it is enabled then it will use MDX.

Cheers

John

• JanGLi
    edited Sep 13, 2017 5:16AM

thanks for help.

Regards

• JanGLi
    edited Nov 2, 2017 7:36AM

hi @JohnGoodwin

sorry for revoking this thread again....

i have a huge form with suppress missing block.... instead of MDX query in eas console session i see spreahsheet operation....

i am just confuse... the planning shows that form is in processing and when i look at sessions in eas console.... i see spreadsheet.... which changed to MDX and back again to spreadsheet.... looks like more than 1 request is being send to essbase by hyperion plannig.

the form though hangs our planning

Regards

• JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited Nov 2, 2017 8:13AM

It is certainly possible that Planning is making multiple and different types of calls to Essbase depending on the form, you would need to discuss with Oracle if you want to understand the inner workings of planning.

If your form is hanging then it goes back to design, maybe have a look at "Hyperion Planning Data Form Design Considerations (Doc ID 779502.1)"

JanGLi
  • JanGLi
    edited Nov 2, 2017 8:21AM

got it. thanks

Regads

This discussion has been closed.