• 2,262,191 Discussions
  • 7,900,111 Comments

Discussions

EPM system Windows Backup

JanGLi
JanGLi Member Posts: 650 Bronze Badge
edited Sep 27, 2017 10:03AM in EPM System Infrastructure

Hi,

I have windows server 2012 (VM Machine) and HFM 11.1.2.4 installed on it. I wanted to define a physical/cold backup strategy. In linux we used (for other EPM products) just stop all services and take backup of our folders.

I can think of 2 strategies but not sure how they are gonna work.

- stop all services and take backup of VM files, but in this scenario a lot of extra unused space will also be backed up if my VM has done pre-allocation of storage. To recover i will just delete the old files and place my backup files.

- Create restoration point of my drives (C: is for windows and D: is for HFM). To restore i will install the same version of windows and later restore my C: and D: drive. (i never done this, is it even possible).

Kindly help me define backup strategy.

Regards

Answers

• JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited Sep 27, 2017 9:10AM

why not just take a snapshot of the VM, or copy the VM and archive off, not sure why the space would be an issue.

If you are wanting to restore a HFM application then it is all stored in a relational database so you can take a backup of that

Cheers

John

• JanGLi
    JanGLi Member Posts: 650 Bronze Badge
    edited Sep 27, 2017 9:18AM

actually i have other components too; like FDMEE and Calc Mgr.
    All they are recover able via RDBMS?
    Do i need to take backup of all the schemas or taking backup of complete RDBMS will work?

Is this way suggested by Oracle?

Taking snapshot of VM will cause me 1 TB of space every time i do it... and in actual the real size of my C: and D: drive is 100 GB.

Will arching 1TB reduces the unused size?

Regards

• Dayalan Punniyamoorthy
    Dayalan Punniyamoorthy Member Posts: 1,516 Gold Trophy
    edited Sep 27, 2017 9:22AM

If you dont want to go with the way of Snapshot of VM then follow the document

For backing up of HFM and for the other components here

Regards,

Dayalan P

• JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited Sep 27, 2017 9:25AM

There is a document dedicated to backup and restore - Backup and Recovery Guide

• rpc1
    rpc1 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited Sep 27, 2017 9:27AM

As I know snapshot reduced unused space and has compression.

For exmample we  just make VM snapshots  and we sucessfully receovered  EPM + RDBMS  from snapshot

• Madhusudhan. M
    Madhusudhan. M Business Analyst Member Posts: 1,904 Silver Trophy
    edited Sep 27, 2017 10:03AM
    All they are recover able via RDBMS?
    Do i need to take backup of all the schemas or taking backup of complete RDBMS will work?Is this way suggested by Oracle?

Take backup of complete DB and individual schema also depends time gap. Like weekly/monthly you can take DB backup and schema backups as required.

Taking snapshot of VM will cause me 1 TB of space every time i do it... and in actual the real size of my C: and D: drive is 100 GB.Will arching 1TB reduces the unused size?

Taking complete system backup also i think, Take Oracle folder backup, registry backup, Inventory backup etc.

Thanks,

Mady

This discussion has been closed.