Exalytics virtualization — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,702,303 Users
  • 2,239,629 Discussions
  • 7,835,897 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exalytics virtualization

JanGLiJanGLi Posts: 646
edited November 2017 in EPM System Infrastructure

Hi,

Have few questions regarding virualization of Exalytics machine....

1 - Is it wise to create VM on exlaytics ? as per my knowledge ifiniband doesn't work with if VM is being used on exalytics.

2 - is there any performance difference between VM created on exalytics and VM created on standard machine?

3 - Installing OBIEE do i need to install everything on Exalytics... including RDBMS? if i have exadata then it make sense to use database installed on exadata but if i have standalone exalytics machine... shall i install RDBMS on exalytics or on separate standard machine?

4 - Installing EPM do i need to install everything on Exalytics... including RDBMS? if i have exadata then it make sense to use database installed on exadata but if i have standalone exalytics machine... shall i install RDBMS on exalytics or on separate standard machine?

5 - Regarding 3 and 4 point if i have all three machines, exadata, exalogic and exalytics.... which component of OBIEE and EPM shall be installed on which machine?

regards

Manmohan Sharma

Answers

• Dayalan PunniyamoorthyDayalan Punniyamoorthy Posts: 1,516
    edited October 2017

Are you referring OVM as VM, if yes its supported with Exalytics. Vmware is a third party tool.

I would read this docs which does answers most of your question  Oracle Exalytics X-Series and T5-8 Deployment Guide (Doc ID 1926448.1)

Oracle Maximum Availability Architecture: Oracle Exalytics Deployment (With Exadata) For High Availability (Doc ID 1592007.1)

Regards,

Dayalan P.

Manmohan Sharma
  • JanGLiJanGLi Posts: 646
    edited October 2017

I was refering to OVM as VM.

I will study the document for answers.

From the overview of document it doesn't state any thing regarding virtual machine.

My main concern is if i create a virutal machine wouldn't i lose the advantage of Exalytic? or there is special oracle linux for exalytics which can also be insalled on VMs of exalytics so that they doesn't lose the advantage of exalytics.

Regards

• Dayalan PunniyamoorthyDayalan Punniyamoorthy Posts: 1,516
    edited October 2017

From the first doc i have shared read the attached document under section 5.1.2 OVM. On the performance side if you allocate the needed resource there wont be a down side. Exalytics does support OVM with some limitations again its all mentioned in the doc attached.

• Saresh-OracleSaresh-Oracle Posts: 63 Employee
    edited November 2017

Hi,

Which version of Exaltyics are you using? X2-4 or X3-4 or X4-4 or X5-4 or T5-8?

What is the Exalytics Patch Set that you are on PS3/PS4/PS5/R2?

use this command /opt/exalytics/bin/exalytics_imageinfo | grep 'Image version'  to get the PS details

A. If you system is a bare metal  install, please execute the following commands and provide screen shots of the system responses:

- From the /opt/exalytics/bin directory, execute as root:

./exalytics_imageinfo

Thanks,

Sareesh

• JanGLiJanGLi Posts: 646
    edited November 2017

x5-4

R2

Virtual Machine...

Still want imageinfo?

Regards

This discussion has been closed.