• 2,264,054 Discussions
  • 7,904,914 Comments

Discussions

Built in method to Get back from PDB to Non-CDB

Khalid Kizhakkethil
Khalid Kizhakkethil Member Posts: 47 Green Ribbon
edited Dec 24, 2017 6:33PM in Multitenant

Hi Gents,

Is there is any built in methods to Get back from PDB to Non-CDB. I am aware we could use transportable tablespace, expdp/impdp etc

Is there is any stright forward metnod like using DBMS_PDB etc.

Regards,

Khalid

Khalid Kizhakkethil

Comments

• Markus Flechtner
    Markus Flechtner Member Posts: 503 Bronze Trophy
    edited Dec 24, 2017 9:01AM

Hi,

there is no official way to move back from PDB to Non-CDB. And from the Oracle point of view this makes sense, because the Non-CDB-architecture is deprecated.

You already mentioned the possible methods like TTS, Datapump, etc.

Regards

Markus

Khalid KizhakkethilKhalid Kizhakkethil
  • Khalid Kizhakkethil
    edited Dec 24, 2017 12:31PM

Hi,

Thanks for your openion and confirmation.

Regards,

Khalid

• Unknown
    edited Dec 24, 2017 3:01PM
    Is there is any stright forward metnod like using DBMS_PDB etc.

A simple review of the Oracle doc for that package would have answered that question.

Have you READ any of the Oracle docs (e.g. the PL/SQL Packages and Types Reference and the Upgrade Guide) related to what you ask about? If so please post the links to the docs you used.

Is there is any built in methods to Get back from PDB to Non-CDB. I am aware we could use transportable tablespace, expdp/impdp etc

Why not just use those methods?

The data dictionary in a PDB is NOT stand-alone. It contains links to the dictionary in the root/CDB and otherwise only contains info for local objects in the PDB.

The PDB also doesn't have its own SYSTEM tablespace.

First you need an actual Oracle installation to hold the PDB data. Oracle isn't going to create that for you. For one reason there would be licensing issues involved.

And once you have that other Oracle installation the only thing you are missing is the data. So you may as well just use datapump or transportable tablespaces.

• Khalid Kizhakkethil
    edited Dec 24, 2017 3:43PM

Hi rp0428

Why not just use those methods?  These methods are logical and of course it will do the job but if your are database is huge using these methods will be time consuming, also needs take care steps like creating database structure, tablespaces, database links, database directories etc.

I have gone thorough oracle documentation and could not see any direct methods like DBMS_PDB (Which you can use to Migrate a Non-Container Database (CDB) to a Pluggable

Database (PDB)).

Currently We have an use case where I need to convert PDB to non CDB standalone. Finally I have done the task using expdp/impdp.

Regards,

Khalid

• Unknown
    edited Dec 24, 2017 6:33PM
    but if your are database is huge using these methods will be time consuming, also needs take care steps like creating database structure, tablespaces, database links, database directories etc.

Why do you think transportable tablespaces are 'time consuming'?

That is the FASTEST way of doing the job.

As for the metadata just export the metadata and import it into the target DB. Really simple.

This discussion has been closed.