• 2,262,397 Discussions
  • 7,900,743 Comments

Discussions

HFM backup taking too long...

JanGLi
JanGLi Member Posts: 650 Bronze Badge
edited Jan 3, 2018 10:21AM in Financial Consolidation

Hi,

We are taking HFM backup using LCM utility. It is taking nearly 5 hours and the folder created is of only 145 MB. Since HFM data is stored in RDBMS; I checked the HFM oradata files and they are not more than 15 GB. My questions are:

1 - Does LCM utility compress data while taking HFM application backup; either compression is performed which is making 15 GB data to 145 MB or LCM utility doesn't take HFM application data backup?

2 - Is it normal for LCM utility for take that long for taking HFM application backup.

Migration Status report.

pastedImage_1.png

Regards

Answers

• Madhusudhan. M
    Madhusudhan. M Business Analyst Member Posts: 1,904 Silver Trophy
    edited Dec 27, 2017 4:15PM

As per screen shot, it is for all components right? LCM doesn't take data for HFM, latest update is we got option for Essbase ( planning also) for data option in 11.1.2.4.

LCM takes time 5 huors for this 145 MB, is depends on our system processing time.

What if you doing are manually, same time should take generally. check out where it is taking time?

Thanks,

Madhusudhan

• Jeo123
    Jeo123 Member Posts: 515 Gold Badge
    edited Jan 2, 2018 11:31AM

I'd suggest you start by narrowing down which part of that backup is taking the longest.  5 hours for everything could be 10 minutes for most and 4 hours for one, that would at least point you in the right direction.

• FREB
    FREB Member Posts: 29 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jan 2, 2018 12:01PM

Hello

LCM compress extracted artefacts.

As say Jeo, you may check what kind of artefact is taking time.

I would begin by testing the HFM app. I'd suspect the HYPPROD HFM data being the time-consummer... LCM is not the more efficient way to backup HFM application data.

I would launch a stand alone backup of the HYPPROD HFM application without "Application Snapshot" nor Application Base level data

If it runs in an appropriate time, try after that a backup including Application Snapshot and see the impact.

• CBarbieri
    CBarbieri Member Posts: 1,011 Gold Trophy
    edited Jan 3, 2018 10:21AM

Since the feature to use LCM for purposes of backing up an HFM application was added in 11.1.2.4 many of us saw that the time taken to back up an application was unreasonably long. We could see that even the tiny sample applications performed poorly. For this reason we asked Oracle to develop a different method for copying applications between environments. A few patches later and Oracle released the application import utility, which is effectively the HFM Copy Application utility, but web-based. It works wonderfully! I would never use LCM to backup an entire HFM application as a result of my experiences with it. LCM is useful for backing up the application artifacts, but don't use the application snapshot feature.

In this regard, what works for Essbase does not work the same for HFM. If you are simply trying to back up HFM, do it from the RDBMS side, not from LCM. If you are using it to promote changes between environments, use the application import utility, or use LCM but don't migrate the application snapshot.

- Chris

This discussion has been closed.