• 3,854,162 Users
  • 2,264,329 Discussions
  • 7,905,581 Comments

Discussions

Discoverer Workbooks inaccesible after Import via Adminstrator/Exx-File

LPNO
LPNO Member Posts: 128 Blue Ribbon
edited Feb 5, 2018 10:35AM in Discoverer

We work here with two User-Accounts for Reportmaintenance and Development with DISCOVERER. User EUL_US is used for working with Discoverer Administrator, DISCO ist used to work with Discoverer desktop.

In the past Workbooks have been transfered as DIS-Files by DESKTOP between different DB-installations like DEV und PROD.

For a change - a lot of workbooks have to be adapted or newly created on two systems -  I tried Export/Import via Discoverer Administrator and EXX-Files. Although I thougth to profite from a textbased transfer format instead of a binary DIS-Dump eg. for version control.

This way I unfortuately managed to write reports created by (APPS) user DISCO on DEV to the PROD system. This in a way that on PROD they belong to user EUL_US instead of DISCO. (Guess I choose a wrong turn on one of the many import options).

I can't access these reports on PROD nomore for maintenace with DESKTOP. At least I need a onetime access to delete them. Actually I wan't to delete them because their visible to all businessusers. Businessusers can even start them in Discoverer Viewer. But if I can't access them, on PROD I can't maintain them nomore. (I lost them on DEV two, when I innocently wrote back the 'updated' Business area onto DEV before I got noticing that the reports changed ownership.

Thus have the problem:

• How can I gain access with again DESKTOP again either with user DISCO or EUL_US?

I have to be able at least to delete these reports, or better to recover them, thus getting control over them with DESKTOP again.

Thus I could delete and/or further maintain/develop on these objects.

Thanks for your help,

LPNO

Best Answer

• sbeck-Oracle
    sbeck-Oracle Member Posts: 116 Employee
    edited Feb 1, 2018 8:44AM Answer ✓

Use of the Database user EUL_US means you are connecting to an Apps Mode (aka E-Business Suite) end user layer.  First, never use the Database user to administer your EUL.  A Database user does not use EBS security and some items created by a DB user are not accessible to your EBS users.  You have not supplied any versions, so please review the note relevant to your Disco & EBS versions [ 313418.1 (10g/11i), 373634.1 (10g/R12), 1073963.1 (11g/11i), 1074326.1 (11g/R12), 1380591.1  (10g/R12.2)].  In these notes you are instructed to give sysadmin (or other admin user) privileges for Discoverer Administration.

The problem with importing into an EUL is the "disposition" of the items being imported.  In particular workbooks.  You MUST use the option "Only take ownership if original owner cannot be found" if using a DB user.  Otherwise, the DB user owns the workbooks and they cannot be accessed by EBS users.  DB users cannot logon to Desktop (or Plus/Viewer) in an Apps Mode EUL.  Thus they cannot "share" workbooks owned by them.

You will need to use EULAPI to delete the workbooks (Note 190184.1 - How To Delete Workbooks Owned By The EUL Owner In An Apps Mode EUL).  This required a Discoverer server be available.  There is no other way.  If you do not have a Discoverer server, the workbooks cannot be seen by EBS users, so should not cause issues.

Regards,
    Sharon

Answers

• sbeck-Oracle
    sbeck-Oracle Member Posts: 116 Employee
    edited Feb 1, 2018 8:44AM Answer ✓

Use of the Database user EUL_US means you are connecting to an Apps Mode (aka E-Business Suite) end user layer.  First, never use the Database user to administer your EUL.  A Database user does not use EBS security and some items created by a DB user are not accessible to your EBS users.  You have not supplied any versions, so please review the note relevant to your Disco & EBS versions [ 313418.1 (10g/11i), 373634.1 (10g/R12), 1073963.1 (11g/11i), 1074326.1 (11g/R12), 1380591.1  (10g/R12.2)].  In these notes you are instructed to give sysadmin (or other admin user) privileges for Discoverer Administration.

The problem with importing into an EUL is the "disposition" of the items being imported.  In particular workbooks.  You MUST use the option "Only take ownership if original owner cannot be found" if using a DB user.  Otherwise, the DB user owns the workbooks and they cannot be accessed by EBS users.  DB users cannot logon to Desktop (or Plus/Viewer) in an Apps Mode EUL.  Thus they cannot "share" workbooks owned by them.

You will need to use EULAPI to delete the workbooks (Note 190184.1 - How To Delete Workbooks Owned By The EUL Owner In An Apps Mode EUL).  This required a Discoverer server be available.  There is no other way.  If you do not have a Discoverer server, the workbooks cannot be seen by EBS users, so should not cause issues.

Regards,
    Sharon

• LPNO
    LPNO Member Posts: 128 Blue Ribbon
    edited Feb 5, 2018 10:34AM

Thanks Sharon,

your answer gives some guidelines I didn't know about.

As you imply, in our environment EUL_US DB-User is used to work with Discoverer Administrator. (I inherited this, I don't know if their were specific reasons to setup the adminstration process like that).

I decided to hide the lost reports by disabling the old reporting responsability and created a new one.

As you say, I could do a properly clean-up with Note 190184.1 - How To Delete Workbooks Owned By The EUL Owner In An Apps Mode EUL).

Thanks for your knowledgable answers.

kind regards,

LPNO

This discussion has been closed.