• 2,253,082 Discussions
  • 7,875,367 Comments

Discussions

Custom Load balancer on JCS

User_2N8QR
User_2N8QR Member Posts: 4 Red Ribbon
edited Jan 30, 2018 8:17AM in Java Cloud Service

Hi,

We are working on the implementation for one of our ADF application, I was wondering two things:

1. Oracle sales person says that if we add Standard load balancer of Oracle JCS it will cost the same as of WLS OCPU cost. is it true?

2. If above is true then why can't we just create a compute machine and use a custom load balancer for the same, do we have any downside to that?

Waiting for Gurus to Answer

User_2N8QR

Best Answer

• Kumar.Dhanagopal-Oracle
    Kumar.Dhanagopal-Oracle Member Posts: 12
    edited Jan 30, 2018 1:04AM Accepted Answer

>>> if we add Standard load balancer of Oracle JCS it will cost the same as of WLS OCPU cost. is it true?

Yes, that's correct.

But if your account is IDCS enabled though, and if you choose to select IDCS as the auth provider for weblogic apps, then an Oracle-managed LBaaS instance is auto-provisioned. The billing for that LB is separate, not connected with the OCPU profile of your WLS servers.

>>> why can't we just create a compute machine and use a custom load balancer for the same

You could.

>>> do we have any downside to that?

When you configure your own LB, you can use the JCS admin features to manage that LB -- add an OTD node, enable the LB, etc.

I hope this helps.

User_2N8QR

Answers

• Kumar.Dhanagopal-Oracle
    Kumar.Dhanagopal-Oracle Member Posts: 12
    edited Jan 30, 2018 1:04AM Accepted Answer

>>> if we add Standard load balancer of Oracle JCS it will cost the same as of WLS OCPU cost. is it true?

Yes, that's correct.

But if your account is IDCS enabled though, and if you choose to select IDCS as the auth provider for weblogic apps, then an Oracle-managed LBaaS instance is auto-provisioned. The billing for that LB is separate, not connected with the OCPU profile of your WLS servers.

>>> why can't we just create a compute machine and use a custom load balancer for the same

You could.

>>> do we have any downside to that?

When you configure your own LB, you can use the JCS admin features to manage that LB -- add an OTD node, enable the LB, etc.

I hope this helps.

User_2N8QR
  • User_2N8QR
    User_2N8QR Member Posts: 4 Red Ribbon
    edited Jan 30, 2018 8:17AM

Hi Dhanagopal,

Thanks for reply,

For now we opted for our own loadbalancer on the compute node, which will cost around 70-75$ a month in comparison to 280$ a month for weblogic LBS.

Although this seems an interesting option. I will surely explore this one as well.

"But if your account is IDCS enabled though, and if you choose to select IDCS as the auth provider for weblogic apps, then an Oracle-managed LBaaS instance is auto-provisioned. The billing for that LB is separate, not connected with the OCPU profile of your WLS servers."

This discussion has been closed.