Forum Stats

• 3,770,698 Users
  • 2,253,155 Discussions
  • 7,875,551 Comments

Discussions

what are DAT files for Oracle Service Bus used for?

3148339 Member Posts: 3
edited Jan 30, 2018 2:34AM in SOA Suite Discusssions

Hello -

We encountered an issue with Oracle Service Bus because DAT files were consuming the disk space.

5+ DAT files at 1.3GB was being created under $DOMAIN_HOME/mserver/SOA_Domain/servers/osb_server2/data/store/OSBFileStore2

The files were named like these

OSBFILESTORE2000000.DAT

What are these files for and are they critical enough not to be deleted? (even the old ones)

What causes them to reach a large size?

Vince

Tagged:

Answers

• Martien van den Akker
    Martien van den Akker Member Posts: 2,776 Bronze Crown
    edited Jan 30, 2018 2:34AM

Hi Vince,

These are files belonging to a filestore of OSB. Most of the cases filestores are used for JMS servers. But in my OSB server I can't find this in the console for this apparent file store.

What I found in the past is that these files are somehow used to persist work that is outstanding, for instance because of retries and open transactions.

So by deleting those files, you might end up deleting persisted work that is transacted but not committed. Put in another way: you might loose work/messages/data.

If these files are growing so 'out of control' I'd investigate your environment to see if there aren't faults or other  performance problems. If your environment is idle, and the systems that are coupled using OSB are consitent, no data is missing, then you could bring down your OSB servers and delete those. OSB should build those up again as if it was a clean startup. I'd backup those files and make sure that your co-workers agree upon this approach and know about it.

Final notes:

• This would not be supported by Oracle, I assume.
    • This is what we call symptom-control: there should be a cause for this excessive growing of the OSB filestore.

Regards,

Martien

This discussion has been closed.