• 3,872,820 Users
  • 2,266,482 Discussions
  • 7,911,332 Comments

Discussions

How to Restore a (deleted) Discoverer Folder

Dragon777
Dragon777 Member Posts: 2
edited Feb 2, 2018 9:45AM in Discoverer

Is there a way to Undo or Restore a Discoverer folder that was accidentally deleted with Discoverer Admin?  I don't want to re-import the table from the DB because that will cause too many existing Discoverer Reports to fail and require Substitutions at run-time.

Dragon777

Best Answer

• LPNO
    LPNO Member Posts: 128 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jan 31, 2018 12:40PM Answer ✓

Is my guess right, that you deleted that folder, by entering the delete folder dialog to use the Crossreference of folder-reports that you find there - and only there?

If so, refer to Discoverer EUL_US: SQL to list Workbooks with their associated Worksheets. There I noted a SQL/View to show the relation Report/Folder, while asking for another relation still unkown to me.

You would have actually already found out, that it doesn't help to recreate the folder from the same view and give it the same name. Welcome to the hell of surrogate keys, a thing invented to prevent the user from the odds of the world and instead creates in odd situations even bigger disasters.

The newly recreated folder will have another surrogate key. Your reports still refere to the old, deleted folder surrogate key and are thus invalid.

You can recover from deasters with these steps:

1. Delete any folders created meanwhile in vain to replace the deleted folders. They are useless.

2. Take your most recent system clone, that contains the folder. Export the folder with Discoverer Administrator into an exx file.

3. Import the EXX-File with the folder in your productive system

Now your problem whould be solved, but the imported folder is orphaned. This means is not connected to a Business area. Thus the folder is useless.

When you are that far, then referer to my question

How export/import a folder without getting it orphaned?

Your DBA can proceed as reported in my second post below.

I just realized, that this was part of the solution, when I deleted a folder of my own. To implement the solution presented there you need to contact your DBA or an Application developer.

If you, he or she proceeds with care, all your lost reports will recover to a second life again.

Think this gives hope for your else lost reports.

regards

LPNO

Dragon777Dragon777

Answers

• LPNO
    edited Jan 31, 2018 12:40PM Answer ✓

Is my guess right, that you deleted that folder, by entering the delete folder dialog to use the Crossreference of folder-reports that you find there - and only there?

If so, refer to Discoverer EUL_US: SQL to list Workbooks with their associated Worksheets. There I noted a SQL/View to show the relation Report/Folder, while asking for another relation still unkown to me.

You would have actually already found out, that it doesn't help to recreate the folder from the same view and give it the same name. Welcome to the hell of surrogate keys, a thing invented to prevent the user from the odds of the world and instead creates in odd situations even bigger disasters.

The newly recreated folder will have another surrogate key. Your reports still refere to the old, deleted folder surrogate key and are thus invalid.

You can recover from deasters with these steps:

1. Delete any folders created meanwhile in vain to replace the deleted folders. They are useless.

2. Take your most recent system clone, that contains the folder. Export the folder with Discoverer Administrator into an exx file.

3. Import the EXX-File with the folder in your productive system

Now your problem whould be solved, but the imported folder is orphaned. This means is not connected to a Business area. Thus the folder is useless.

When you are that far, then referer to my question

How export/import a folder without getting it orphaned?

Your DBA can proceed as reported in my second post below.

I just realized, that this was part of the solution, when I deleted a folder of my own. To implement the solution presented there you need to contact your DBA or an Application developer.

If you, he or she proceeds with care, all your lost reports will recover to a second life again.

Think this gives hope for your else lost reports.

regards

LPNO

Dragon777Dragon777
  • LPNO
    edited Jan 31, 2018 12:27PM

Once you import your Folder from EXX-File your folder will be recreated in EUL5_BA_OBJS and will get a new surrogate ID in EUL5_BA_OBJS.BOL_OBJ_ID. This is the new (wrong) obj-ID of your folder. 

When you deleted your original folder, it's entries in EUL5_BA_OBJS  was deleted, as well as it's Folder-BA realtion in EUL5_BA_OBJ_LINKS .

Go to a recent system clone of your productive system, where the (old) folder still exits.

Thats the key point: If you haven't a clone with identical surrogate keys in relevant tables your stuck.

Get the each of the two datarows of your folder in EUL5_BA_OBJS and EUL5_BA_OBJ_LINKS.

Then go to your productive system. There you have to update the EUL5_BA_OBJS.BOL_OBJ_ID of your folder from new, useless value, to the old original value of your clone/backup.

Commit your changes. Now you have a orphaned folder.

in the next step you will have to insert a row into EUL5_BA_OBJ_LINKS that connects the folder to the target business area. Select the same row in your clone system, study it, do the necessary replacements, then insert and commit the row.

When you have done everything well, your deleted folder is recovered. The reports start working again like a charm.

Needless to say that you have to refer to someone, that knows exactely what he is doing. Commit SQL-transactions in productive systems always compares to brain surgery.

Hope this helps.

LPNO

Dragon777
  • Dragon777
    Dragon777 Member Posts: 2
    edited Feb 2, 2018 9:45AM

Hi LPNO,

What actually happened to cause that folder's absence is a mystery, but fatigue and clumsiness were involved. 

Dragon777

This discussion has been closed.