Forum Stats

• 3,815,712 Users
  • 2,259,070 Discussions
  • 7,893,213 Comments

Discussions

How export/import a folder without getting it orphaned?

LPNO
LPNO Member Posts: 128 Blue Ribbon
edited Feb 10, 2018 8:34AM in Discoverer

Using Discoverer Administrator Version (11.1.1.3.0) I can export a Folder with

File -> Export 

x selected objects in end user layer

object to Export: Folder

selected Folder

result is stored in exx-File, then imported in the target-system.

As a result the folder is imported, but the assignment to it's Businesss Area is not transported as well. As a warning message of the import says, the imported folder becomes orphaned. I don't see a standard way to get the folder connected or reconnected to it's business area. Is there a way out?

Dragon777LPNO

Best Answer

• sbeck-Oracle
    sbeck-Oracle Member Posts: 116 Employee
    edited Jan 31, 2018 11:52AM Answer ✓

It is not recommended to use "Selected Objects" export option except for Workbooks. This option will only export the Folder Definition and nothing else.  The Business Area affiliation and content of the folder are not exported.  The folder will be empty unless you select every single item contained in the folder. 

It is recommended to export the entire Business Area.  This will export more than the desired folder, but all affiliations are maintained.  When importing select the Refresh option.

Regards,

Sharon

Dragon777LPNO

Answers

• sbeck-Oracle
    sbeck-Oracle Member Posts: 116 Employee
    edited Jan 31, 2018 11:52AM Answer ✓

It is not recommended to use "Selected Objects" export option except for Workbooks. This option will only export the Folder Definition and nothing else.  The Business Area affiliation and content of the folder are not exported.  The folder will be empty unless you select every single item contained in the folder. 

It is recommended to export the entire Business Area.  This will export more than the desired folder, but all affiliations are maintained.  When importing select the Refresh option.

Regards,

Sharon

Dragon777LPNO
  • LPNO
    LPNO Member Posts: 128 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jan 31, 2018 12:04PM

I just remembered we had this problem just tow weeks ago, when we had to recover a accidently deleted folder.

I will enter the solution details there

How to Restore a (deleted) Discoverer Folder

Dragon777
This discussion has been closed.