• 7,912,227 Comments

Discussions

Another simplified interface / form question

Robert Angel
Robert Angel Member Posts: 4,535 Bronze Crown
edited Feb 12, 2018 2:53AM in Planning and Budgeting

Hi,

PBCS

when business rules run over time X you don't always want the end user to move forward through the task list, is there anyway to either prevent the time out, or failing that to make it obvious to the end user when it has completed without sending e-mails?

thanks,

Robert.

Tagged:
amith.madisettyLiliya B

Answers

• Dayalan Punniyamoorthy
    Dayalan Punniyamoorthy Member Posts: 1,516 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 8, 2018 11:48PM

Sorry, not sure I get it. Can you throw an example?

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 9, 2018 2:47AM

Sure, as an end user I am using a form. I input my data. I press save. The form starts running a business rule. The business rule runs over the max wait and goes to complete in the background. As the end user I have no means of knowing the business rule has completed in the form I am in.

Given that simplified interface will be the only end user option soon I do not have the easy alternative of having two tabs open, one where I watch jobs complete the other where I work my way through the tasks.

So my question is how do I make this obvious for the end user, so when they are looking at aggregated figures they are sure they can be relied on?

• Dayalan Punniyamoorthy
    Dayalan Punniyamoorthy Member Posts: 1,516 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 9, 2018 5:24AM

But even in Simplified Interface, you have the Business rule runs and notifies you the result right?

If its a huge rule has to go through a lot of iteration, I would break the form and the rule to multiple forms with rule addressing only those data sets related to the from.

a.jpg

Am I missing something here?

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 9, 2018 5:42AM

Yes - when it runs over 3 minutes - which unfortunately our aggregations are now reaching that tipping point in some areas, it runs in background, my question is is there any way to either prevent it running in background or at least give a user some kind of alert when it does complete?

• JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited Feb 9, 2018 6:07AM

The time rules that are sent to run in the background is fixed by Oracle, this is the statement from the documentation

"For optimum performance, rules that run in forms should be designed to execute within three minutes. For rules with a longer execution time, you can schedule batch processing or run the rules during non-peak hours."

I think Oracle's answer is to inform users by email that the rule has completed.

So if that is not acceptable then it would need some kind of optimisation in the rules, if you were on PBCS+module or EPBCS then groovy may have been an option to look at optimising the rules slightly, even that may not help because in the end it depends on the size of the calculations/aggregations.

Robert Angel
  • Robert Angel
    edited Feb 9, 2018 6:08AM

Thanks John - I am aware of the party line on 3 minutes.

On e-mails, possibly, but in busy periods I fear they would not thank me for the Spamming of their inboxes.

And sorry to say that I am only on PBCS, so E / module are not an option this time....

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 9, 2018 6:56AM

On "look at optimising the rules slightly" I also fear that I have milked the optimise cow dry.

I tried only re-aggregating up the tree based on base members changed, this was slower.

I tried aggregating based on the template formats for aggregation - which seem unnecessarily over-engineered. This was also slower.

I thought about making upper levels dynamic, but on testing the scale of improvement was not significant.

I am open to any other constructive suggestions on optimisation.

thanks again for your insight!

• Liliya B
    Liliya B Member Posts: 90 Blue Ribbon
    edited Feb 9, 2018 2:15PM

Hi Robert,

Depends how creative you would like to be. In general, I would prefer to use the email notification or ask the users to check the job status, but if to put my Creative Hat on, you have some options... One of them is:

1. Create an account 'Calculation Status' that will have a Smart List type

2. In Smart List define - 1 as 'Calculation in Progress'

3. At the beginning of your Business Rule (or a ruleset), for the combination that is calculated update the flag to be equal 1

4. At the end of the Business Rule clear the 'Calculation Status' account

5. Include this 'Calculation Status' account in your form and set 'Suppress missing' for this row

6. As a result, while the calculation is running, this account will show 'Calculation in progress', when calculation is done, this row will be suppressed.

7. You can add validation rule to highlight the account in RED, to make it more visible....

Hope it makes sense

Liliya

amith.madisettyRobert Angel
  • Liliya B
    Liliya B Member Posts: 90 Blue Ribbon
    edited Feb 9, 2018 2:19PM

Just to add, when I say 'currently calculated combination' in point #3, I mean the combination on your PAGE (not every combination shown)

• amith.madisetty
    amith.madisetty Member Posts: 869 Gold Badge
    edited Feb 10, 2018 2:58AM

Hi Robert,

Not sure @return function would help in this case and using some logic to validate for sake of the using return function at the end of calc script  or job console notification

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E57185_01/PLAUG/ch11s01s01.html

Not sure if they are only for PUH approvals or status or notifications for all users or only for administrators , i have tried this before just happened to across this while searching for notifications in pbcs.

Thanks

Amith

This discussion has been closed.