Forum Stats

• 3,838,807 Users
  • 2,262,400 Discussions
  • 7,900,759 Comments

Discussions

OBIEE 12.2.1.2 how to retrieve HFM Entity CurrencyType and UserDefine info

Hi all,

I have my OBIEE 12c integrated with HFM 11.1.2.4 by using the oracle adm driver.

The HFM metadata were successfully imported to the RPD and able to built report in OBIEE.

We would like to retrieve the CurrencyType for each entity from HFM for our dashboard. I have tried to use the predefined column "CurrencyType" , but it keep display nothing, just like null.

May I ask how can I retrieve the CurrencyType info as well as the userdefine flag from HFM? Thanks!

Best regards,

Ivan

Tagged:
Thomas DoddsRobert Angel

Best Answer

2900201 Member Posts: 6
    edited Feb 20, 2018 9:58PM Answer ✓

Thanks all!

Seems that the adm driver cannot retrieve the metadata attributes in a friendly way.

We have finally retrieved the entity currency info by importing the currency table from HFM DB to the RPD.

Answers

• Robert Angel
    Robert Angel Member Posts: 4,535 Bronze Crown
    edited Feb 9, 2018 2:53AM

Hi Ivan,

I have used other EPM (Planning, HPCM, Essbase) solutions but not HFM with OBIEE, but if CurrencyType is a dimension in your underlying Essbase cube then this is not working, you should see Members when you (say) create a filter and use the value selector to pick what you are filtering.

If this is not happening for you then I would double check your set up.

• Gianni Ceresa
    Gianni Ceresa Managing Director | Oracle ACE Director Member Posts: 6,640 Blue Diamond
    edited Feb 9, 2018 4:40AM
    Robert Angel wrote:if CurrencyType is a dimension in your underlying Essbase cube 

If only ... HFM has no cube, just a fake "multi-dimensional" model fully in relational DB. So everything is on the ADM driver and HFM hands to make it looks like a cube...

@2900201 : my sample HFM VM crashed badly (right before I started taking screenshot for a presentation) and refuse to start since then, had no chance to look a bit more in details at things

• Christian Berg-0racle
    Christian Berg-0racle Everything Analytics And Data Member Posts: 9,649 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 9, 2018 4:50AM

Stupid Windows stuff, right?

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 9, 2018 4:57AM

Thanks for the info - as I said my EPM experience has been on the Essbase side of the world, though I know that HPCM now also has the relational option to cater for Cartesian products that exceed Essbase's mighty 2 x (2^52) sparse permutations.

Surely it must come down to the initial set up, RDBMS in theory makes life easier - whatever it says on the Oracle 'gloss' - I would rather model against RDBMS databases 10 days out of 10.

• Christian Berg-0racle
    Christian Berg-0racle Everything Analytics And Data Member Posts: 9,649 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 9, 2018 5:00AM

Not if that "model" is a dynamic one with recursive self-joins where attributes definitions are stored as rows in a table and the values / members of that attribute in a other table

Thomas Dodds
    2900201 Member Posts: 6
    edited Feb 9, 2018 5:29AM

Thank you guys!

yup! the HFM has no cube. Is it mean that I cannot retrieve the Member attribute value in OBIEE? I checked the RPD and found no way to import the attribute information,,,and I just only want to retrieve the entity currency type from the HFM.

Regards,

Ivan

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 9, 2018 5:39AM

That sounds performant, transparent and easy to use a crock

Seriously though, with the way it works is there any way to (non-intrusively) customise, what I had in mind was creating a lookup table and using the lookup so they can use it to get their currency information?

• Gianni Ceresa
    Gianni Ceresa Managing Director | Oracle ACE Director Member Posts: 6,640 Blue Diamond
    edited Feb 9, 2018 8:59AM

Hi Ivan,

I honestly don't remember if there is something you can change/add in the import the wizard gives you. I would say not much for sure as the ADM driver isn't really powerful (at least what I saw with Planning).

You can try to have a look at the webcast Oracle did few days/weeks ago as it was about integration of Hyperion tools in OBIEE, maybe they cover what you look for: https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/ui/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=2333200.1

Robert: you can do things my hand in the HFM DB (not supported of course), as Christian says the model is recursive (if I don't remember wrongly), but still possible to get things out in a view and try to federate it back with the HFM source in the BMM layer. Could be an interesting workaround for Ivan in case there isn't a cleaner official solution to his need.

• Christian Berg-0racle
    edited Feb 9, 2018 9:27AM

No that webcasts contains pretty much zero information apart from "click here, do this" for an initial setup of an integration.

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 9, 2018 9:34AM

Yes - federation - a grand title for my nasty little look up table workaround, but it could be a workable option, though I guess my concern would be performance as the currencies would frequently become the obvious choice for filters...

This discussion has been closed.