• 7,912,227 Comments

Discussions

Strategy for handling deletes

Robert Angel
Robert Angel Member Posts: 4,535 Bronze Crown
edited Feb 12, 2018 3:42AM in Planning and Budgeting

Hi,

PBCS.

in data forms sometimes users will clear data out, rather than changing numbers to zeroes.

This means that when aggregation runs there may be spurious upper level members.

I don't really want to always force aggregation of null members for performance reasons.

Clearing all upper level data as a matter of course also seems excessive.

How do others handle this in their planning applications?

thanks,

Robert.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• USER1211
    USER1211 Member Posts: 3,104
    edited Feb 9, 2018 7:51AM Answer ✓

Just for clarity did you actually mean User enter zero rather than # MISSING and that has increased your DB size and affected performance?

If no then the question would be how are you addressing all the zeros being placed in the database as that is a common culprit of eventual poor performance.

The  SET Agg missing  set command generally  does  not materially impact aggregation time as it is a NULL in the system

Robert Angel

Answers

• USER1211
    USER1211 Member Posts: 3,104
    edited Feb 9, 2018 7:51AM Answer ✓

Just for clarity did you actually mean User enter zero rather than # MISSING and that has increased your DB size and affected performance?

If no then the question would be how are you addressing all the zeros being placed in the database as that is a common culprit of eventual poor performance.

The  SET Agg missing  set command generally  does  not materially impact aggregation time as it is a NULL in the system

Robert Angel
  • Robert Angel
    edited Feb 9, 2018 8:03AM

Thanks, yes I know about the zeroes and have used the divide multiply trick to remove them, along with clear empty blocks - as a timed script.

Thanks for the info on Set agg missing, I had assumed there was a price to pay here, but if not then I shall alter my scripts accordingly.

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 9, 2018 8:04AM

And sorry, to answer your question, no I meant a user clearing the original input to #Missing and posting, rather than posting back zeroes.

This discussion has been closed.