• 2,266,928 Discussions
  • 7,912,227 Comments

Discussions

Smart Push alternatives

Robert Angel
Robert Angel Member Posts: 4,535 Bronze Crown
edited Feb 14, 2018 2:48AM in Planning and Budgeting

Hi,

We have a PBCS database / application that is operated on a 'batch' basis.

i.e. they load a massive amount of data, run a 'monster' script, smart push via a form save, review, repeat all of the prior steps until review is good.

My problem comes with 'smart push' - I know others, including me have posted on this.

The form based push is only so scaleable before you get errors due to the number of permutations.

I have tried to use based on form on selective dimensions, but this gives the end user a good five minutes of running a fairly brainless task.

You don't want to give end users admin rights for obvious reasons, but there is no other way to give them 'global' push abilities. (And I am not keen on the epmautomate alternative as it seems less than secure for a remotely bright user)

So other alternatives; -

1. Business rule to data export, clear subset of ASO cube and load via rules - but on the last point you run into the same admin rights problem - and you cannot script up a data load

2. Xref or equivalent in business rule to write data to ASO - this is going to be massively slower than the pushes

3. As form solution but create X number of forms that slice the data by (say) month, so saving through twelve forms with no other changes would at least be faster - not great

4. Smart View with some VB - maybe an option to iterate the query back, save etc - but not keen on  desktop solutions with cloud becoming business critical

5. Timed job that runs (say) every hour - not a bad option potentially

Anyone feel they have a good solution for this, that wholly satisfies scale ability, speed and security and preferably without a desktop presence?

thanks for any input,

Robert.

Tagged:
Robert AngelLiliya B

Best Answer

• Liliya B
    Liliya B Member Posts: 90 Blue Ribbon
    edited Feb 13, 2018 7:44AM Answer ✓

Hi,

I know I do not have an answer for you, but just something to consider:

If you are considering option #3 (several forms) I would do instead 1 form with several data maps.

" As form solution but create X number of forms that slice the data by (say) month, so saving through twelve forms with no other changes would at least be faster - not great"

Instead of having 12 forms you can have 12 maps attached to 1 form, all run on save and probably in background.

Inconvenient to maintain but user experience is good.

And just to add, option #5 'Timed job that runs (say) every hour - not a bad option potentially' sounds the best to me.

Have a good day

Liliya

Robert Angel

Answers

• Dayalan Punniyamoorthy
    Dayalan Punniyamoorthy Member Posts: 1,516 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 13, 2018 6:51AM

I am sure you have might have looked this, but sharing still Hyperion Planning and Budget Cloud Service Map Reporting Application - Push Data taking a lot of time (Doc ID 1960763.1)

Robert Angel
  • Liliya B
    edited Feb 13, 2018 6:52AM

Hi,

When they load a massive amount of data and run a 'monster' script, is it done by Admin or End User? Can you combine all 3 steps in 1 empautomate run by admin (load, calc, push)? Then they can review the data and re-push from the form  only the data that was updated on the form?

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 13, 2018 7:04AM

Hello,

it is all done by the end user currently, and I am trying to avoid the epmautomate option for the end users, but know that the admin resources locally are oversubscribed so don't want to build a reliance there.

On 'only the data that was updated' - I hear what you are saying, but the changes are frequently across a wide range and I suspect the end users would struggle to remember which members they had changed so would wind up pushing everything 'to be sure'.

thanks for your input,

Robert.

• Phulsebosch
    Phulsebosch Member Posts: 775 Gold Badge
    edited Feb 13, 2018 7:06AM

Hello Robert,

I assume the users change some driver data and calculate the data with aggregation. This to see the effect on the totals...

maybe a far-fechted solution... load the massive amount of data in several versions, and let them push their input data from one version to the other. This will reduce the amount of data pushed around.

Once a version is wasted, the data can be cleared.

Regards,

Philip

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 13, 2018 7:16AM

Hi,

the process is;

1. Driver data is entered

2. Volumes are entered

3. Calculations are made using business rules

4. Non-driver based data is entered

5. Values are transferred from 'working paper accounts' to 'Chart of Account' accounts

6. ** Smart Push ** to ASO

7. Review in ASO

Step 7 result not being satisfactory can result in re-work on anything from 1 downwards

Step 7 is also the only point at which summarised data is seen as the source database is prohibitively large to perform a timely aggregation

Your versions idea does not float because it is an iterative process, they only know the next iteration as a result of the current iteration - that and sorry if I am being slow but I am not following how it helps my smart push problem??

• Liliya B
    edited Feb 13, 2018 7:44AM Answer ✓

Hi,

I know I do not have an answer for you, but just something to consider:

If you are considering option #3 (several forms) I would do instead 1 form with several data maps.

" As form solution but create X number of forms that slice the data by (say) month, so saving through twelve forms with no other changes would at least be faster - not great"

Instead of having 12 forms you can have 12 maps attached to 1 form, all run on save and probably in background.

Inconvenient to maintain but user experience is good.

And just to add, option #5 'Timed job that runs (say) every hour - not a bad option potentially' sounds the best to me.

Have a good day

Liliya

Robert Angel
  • Robert Angel
    edited Feb 13, 2018 8:12AM

Hi Liliya,

Your 12 data maps is horrible, but might be my currently best option for the user base, an hour is a long time in finance, and with no ability to time at a lower frequency than a day, setting up timed smart pushes more often may be a longer job than the twelve smart pushes and is resource wasteful... a comment the cloud team may thank me for.

Unless someone can trump your suggestion Correct points are heading your way!

• USER1211
    USER1211 Member Posts: 3,104
    edited Feb 13, 2018 9:37AM

Notably have you investigated Data Management as an option?. Of course with only you know the timelines and resources ,hence you have to factor in feasibility.

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 13, 2018 9:58AM

Yes, this was my 1. - cf original post

"1. Business rule to data export, clear subset of ASO cube and load via rules - but on the last point you run into the same admin rights problem - and you cannot script up a data load"

Here the business rule to export is trivial

The data management rule to load the data ditto

The part I could not solve with this is how I could invoke the data management rule, within the bounds of PBCS. (i.e. I realise I have options like epmautomate, but I don't want to go there as this is for end user invocation)

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 13, 2018 10:00AM

Thanks - not my problem this time, but marking you helpful as it is for future reference and I had not seen it.

This discussion has been closed.