• 2,266,948 Discussions
  • 7,912,304 Comments

Discussions

Display "offers" in webcenter portal

GaganArneja
GaganArneja Member Posts: 33 Red Ribbon
edited Feb 20, 2018 11:59PM in WebCenter Portal

Hi Experts,

We are on WCP 21.2.1.1. Our organization negotiates special discounted rates with various hotels and resorts for use by employees.

An offer would have a title , some write up, probably attached pdf and pictures from the hotel.

We want to be able to display these offers on the portal in a separate "Offers" page - they should be searchable, should be possibly classified by region.

Is my best bet a custom taskflow ?

Is there anyway we can create editable forms based on a table , from within WCP itself (no ADF involved) - I ask this because we had similar features in sharepoint in a previous organization, with ability to also send out notifications when a new row was created - all this with no coding absolutely.

TIA !

Best Answer

• Daniel Merchán
    Daniel Merchán Enterprise Achitect Member Posts: 2,192 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 20, 2018 9:12AM Answer ✓

Hi.

You have two options here:

• Model an Offer by using Site Studio (Web Content way)  integration via Content Presenter (also you can consider consuming the Web Content by RIDC).

• Model an Offer in Database and create everything custom as you desire.

Pros of Site Studio:

• Web Content and usage of Content Presenter (also the caching capabilities of it).
    • Integrates with the Contribute mode of WebCenter Portal.
    • Store the information in WebCenter Content (Data Files and Images).
    • Content Security.
    • Workflows (if needed).

Cons of Site Studio:

• The contribution UIs will brings you back to the past. Site Studio UIs has not been changed and the contribution forms are what it is.
    • Usually you need to give them access to WebCenter Content UI (not desirable) or provide a intermediary page for improving the UX of contribution. The Out-of-the-box way for contributing Data Files is really poor,.

Pros of custom solution:

• You build what you want in your way.

Cons:

• "More work" <- which is not always true.

If you have experience with Content Presenter, RIDC or Site Studio + WCC Profiles maybe is a good option.

Kind regards.

Kind regards.

Answers

• Daniel Merchán
    Daniel Merchán Enterprise Achitect Member Posts: 2,192 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 20, 2018 9:12AM Answer ✓

Hi.

You have two options here:

• Model an Offer by using Site Studio (Web Content way)  integration via Content Presenter (also you can consider consuming the Web Content by RIDC).

• Model an Offer in Database and create everything custom as you desire.

Pros of Site Studio:

• Web Content and usage of Content Presenter (also the caching capabilities of it).
    • Integrates with the Contribute mode of WebCenter Portal.
    • Store the information in WebCenter Content (Data Files and Images).
    • Content Security.
    • Workflows (if needed).

Cons of Site Studio:

• The contribution UIs will brings you back to the past. Site Studio UIs has not been changed and the contribution forms are what it is.
    • Usually you need to give them access to WebCenter Content UI (not desirable) or provide a intermediary page for improving the UX of contribution. The Out-of-the-box way for contributing Data Files is really poor,.

Pros of custom solution:

• You build what you want in your way.

Cons:

• "More work" <- which is not always true.

If you have experience with Content Presenter, RIDC or Site Studio + WCC Profiles maybe is a good option.

Kind regards.

Kind regards.

• GaganArneja
    GaganArneja Member Posts: 33 Red Ribbon
    edited Feb 20, 2018 11:50PM

Thanks Daniel, this was all very helpful. Appreciate the quick reply.

I have good experience with content presenter , ridc and wcc . Site Studio - we don't use it here, so it will need introduction of a new product as such.

I could do a custom development quickly but full blown customizations = more maintenance , but I guess I have no choice.

P.S - How can I mark your answer as the right answer

This discussion has been closed.